A beekeepers christmas day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my Christmas day was spent as a taxi and pot washer-upper....I drove my elderly parents from Stroud over to my sisters in Cheltenham for a splendid Christmas meal and had a nice chat with my father who's forgiven me for telling him off about not driving until (if) his eyes get better....and then washed up the lot over three batches so I could sit down and take in the festive fun inbetween whiles.

I was the proud to receive a rather nice honey dipper with a brass bee on the top, and some cash to buy a new Dadant smoker with (mine being ten years old has really had it's day now), and a small hand painted painting of three types of bees - anatomically correct too.

The Boxing day was spent at home - just resting up after a busy year, although I ventured out in the afternoon for a drive and walk on Salisbury Plain. Not a soul to be seen for miles at one point and total winter silence too....amazing.

The Boxing day was spent at home - just resting up after a busy year, although I ventured out in the afternoon for a drive and walk on Salisbury Plain. Not a soul to be seen for miles at one point and total winter silence too....amazing.
Sounds wonderful.

Well as I'd cancelled the Christmas Plygain service (from the Latin derived Pullicantio - before the cock crows) I once again didn't have to be up and about by 0430 to open the burial ground gates and prepare the chapel (although it was cancelled last year as well, I automatically awoke at 0430 so I had the first Christmas day lie in for many years, still got up at 0830 to potter around, pop down to my sister's to wish everyone (including my mother) a merry Christmas then walked down to the club to meet my father in law and drink my first pint since the UBKA convention in February 2020 (it was Guinness this time too), then walk down to the outlaws where (because we arrived on time at 1330) SWMBO hadn't quite finished preparing the dinner then after having a relaxing dinner, getting myself around halp a bottle of Lanson - an hour on my knees on the floor putting together the nephew's Thomas the tank trainset! Leisurly walk home then to veg out in front of the TV watching the Amazing Mr Blunden (almost ruined my Mr Gattiss Hitchcockian awful cameo appearance)
Did much the same boxing day but with mu favourite - cold turkey sandwiches and a bottle of Jura malt 😁

When you first got your catcher, did you make it smell of bees to make it more enticing? Eg paint some propolis onto the cloth?

Lovely job.
I found that you don’t actually need a drawstring unless you can release it super quickly. Fiddling with it is a nuisance.
Pole up into tree. Knock bees in. Tip into nuc box leaving stragglers in the bag to walk up into entrance
That is brilliant

How are you lovely beeks celebrating New year???? Not my favourite, usually rubbish on TV, we usually stay up to see the new year in though and then straight off to bed. Lots of family coming for lunch tomorrow so busy day.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL :party-smiley-050:

bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

I doubt I'll stay up until midnight, I usually do to wish my mother a happy birthday (even when on the boats) but we agreed last year that both of us are knocking on a bit now to miss so much sleep (she'll be 79 tomorrow, born not long after midnight, a difficult birth so the doctor had to be called away from the hospital New year's party and he delivered her in his dinner jacket and black tie!))

Latest posts

Back