whats happening to the price of sugar??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It must be said for the majority of beekeepers with but a few hives and small amount of honey production there is no problem in selling the honey they do not use for gifts or barter.
I have not had a problem in selling my own honey into what can only be described as a quality foods niche market via our Tamar Valley Honey Co-operative, and at a reasonable price!

Some things food commodity wise have to be bought from a supermarket... but have you noticed how the Supermarket "Organic" veg counters have expanded in variety of products offered... and the increase in roadside vegetable sellers?

Perhaps the British climate is not suitable for massive beefarming / honey production?

If you can’t afford a price drop then you need to find an angle.
They did it in NZ with Manuka and I understand that research is being done in a university in Wales to see if UK honey has a "Unique" factor.

I could be well wrong but remember reading a while back that the Italians tend not to use "Heart disease" as a cause of death on death certificates hence the very low amount of heart disease in Italians at pm.
Dr Stitson ?

sure italians have strokes and heart attacks. Not heard about the death cert issue (although bear in mind that a minimum of 1/3 of UK death certs are wrongly filled out and it is very easy to use the cover all of "Ischaemic Heart Disease" if in doubt). another issue would be rapid processing of the deceased - signed, sealed and buried within 24-48hrs.

However, there is a noticeable trend towards deaths being predominantly in the 85+ cohort.

Perhaps the British climate is not suitable for massive beefarming / honey production?

Good question, however we have per colony averages in the commercial outfits that generally speaking are not too far removed from those obtained in many apparently more favourable places. Many of the issues with UK commercials comes down to one of scale.

Most of them actually run far fewer colonies per person than would be the case in the bigger honey countries, and essentially on an amateur derived system. ( Not a jibe, I am just the same though trying all the time to make improvements) An amateur derived system spends all day looking at the trees, whereas the true professional is more interested in the forest. Too much attention to detail of limited importance.

Have been over the figures countless times. For other than a peasant agriculture income level you need at least 400 colonies.......per full time equivalent job...........a figure that has crept up from about 300 25 years ago, as crops have become harder to win and costs have gone up faster than returns. In this we are in the same situation as most primary producers. Need to worker harder today to have the same real level of returns from back then.

But yes, commercial beekeeping IS possible in a UK setting. You just need to be in the correct parts of the country, and get your balance between inputs and returns correct. Means you have to take some fairly hard nosed decisions incompatible at times with doing it for pleasure. Incomes are often low, but quality of life is fabulous.

( Although any assurance that I have a great quality of life may not bring forth the happy response you might hope for at 3:30 AM, stuck in a muddy field in the rain, loading hives for the heather, and some of the team have not turned up......................a bliss.)

Thanks ITLD...... safe cracking seems like a walk in the park compared to the like of crawling through the mire you describe.... although I promised the Magistrate I would not do it anymore!

Have been over the figures countless times. For other than a peasant agriculture income level you need at least 400 colonies.......per full time equivalent job...........a figure that has crept up from about 300 25 years ago, as crops have become harder to win and costs have gone up faster than returns. In this we are in the same situation as most primary producers. Need to worker harder today to have the same real level of returns from back then.

As if January wasnt depressing enough already !

How can you get a Unimog stuck? Thought they had diff lock on all four wheels? Or did in the 70's.

I can empathise with the thought though, I remember hive humping in Glen Dye at 2-30am and realised there were midges.... in me veil... I was not a happy bunny. Plus it was the 3d round trip of the night.

PH

Last edited:
How can you get a Unimog stuck? Thought they had diff lock on all four wheels? Or did in the 70's.

Watch for a small album appearing...............Sept 2010..........not many vehicles immune to the driver getting himself lost, turning on a narrow road over a swamp, and finding a near bottomless pit of near liquid peat about four feet across. The suction was huge and you can see the size of truck I had to bring in to get it out. Same driver found another of these hidden little pits at Rothiemurchus in 2011, better hidden this time, heather fallen over and covering it from all sides........drive onto it, and before you can even move the truck is resting on its axles........this time it took a week to get it out, and a forestry contractor had to come with his 'debogging equipment'.

Watch for a small album appearing...............Sept 2010..........not many vehicles immune to the driver getting himself lost, turning on a narrow road over a swamp, and finding a near bottomless pit of near liquid peat about four feet across. The suction was huge and you can see the size of truck I had to bring in to get it out. Same driver found another of these hidden little pits at Rothiemurchus in 2011, better hidden this time, heather fallen over and covering it from all sides........drive onto it, and before you can even move the truck is resting on its axles........this time it took a week to get it out, and a forestry contractor had to come with his 'debogging equipment'.

Just had a look at your albums and looks a very nice, clean operation.

Very interesting.

had a look today and bookers 55p pricemarked happy shopper sugar is still cheapest if u buy it at bookers it works out at about 76p per kg

had a look today and bookers 55p pricemarked happy shopper sugar is still cheapest if u buy it at bookers it works out at about 76p per kg

I'm not sure they ever have that in (at least they dont seem to in my local one).

Waitrose, which was the cheapest, has now shot up to £1.89 for a 2Kg bag (knew there was a reason why I have crates of the stuff in my garage)

Poundshop are selling 1.25kg bags

I'm not sure they ever have that in (at least they dont seem to in my local one).

Waitrose, which was the cheapest, has now shot up to £1.89 for a 2Kg bag (knew there was a reason why I have crates of the stuff in my garage)

went into bookers today and got 10cases its £3.85 for 10x500g bags. the manager there said all bookers should have it as its the booker euroshopper own label, if your one doesnt have any maybe a comment to the manager there would be appropriate about it being a core line for them. you could also ask him that if you call a couple of days in advance could they save you any damaged cases of granulated, mine will sell them to me at half price just explain what you want it for they should be more than happy to as they know about the BBKA automatic membership of bookers for all members to buy sugar. hope you get some luck with them.

went into bookers today and got 10cases its £3.85 for 10x500g bags. hope you get some luck with them.

Luckily I've got sufficient. Interestingly, Euroshopper was £3.49 for 10x500g back in Sept (70p/Kg) Waitrose at the same time was working out at 71.5p/Kg

Managed to pick up another 50kg today from association at 40p kg with offer of more if i want it. wondering whether or not to stock up a couple of 100kg more ready for autumn at that price.

Poundstretcher (if you have one near you, check their website) have a special on 79p/kg or £1.50 for 2 x 1kg (75p/kg)

As I only see the price of sugar rising I have done one run and contemplating a 2nd run to stock up for future!

** Just to point out I do not work for them, just passing on the info I found **

Latest posts

Back