whats happening to the price of sugar??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren64

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have noticed the price of sugar seems to be rocketing,its just gone up another 7p since last week,does anyone know why?

:iagree: got 10 kg yesterday for fondant 2kg bags 93p per kg. 5kg bags 78p per kg. liquid glucose seems too have gone up as well.

Sugar beet yields have been a bit low from the last harvest- possibly due to the dry conditions last summer.
I come from a sugar producing region and all the farmers suffered with poor sugar beet grow resulting in smaller beet, so the factories need more beets to produce the same amount of sugar, therefore its costing more.

Same problems as grain im afraid and its price. Wet cold years are worse for bees but better for sugar beet production which we feed to the bees. All a big cycle isnt it...

Agreed - - we'll all soon be needing our own wheelbarrow!

:iagree:

and the cost of petrol in poor Cornwall is predicted to rise rapidly as well.........( Spotlight BBC News tonight)
will need a wheel barrow fixed to the front of me bat bike to collect the sugar from Tescos:rolleyes:

British sugar,thats not imported.

Agreed but lsimilar to diesel that uses spot prices, then sugar from the British sugar PLC is set either by the spot price or by the commodity market

due to the falliing £ and supply the commidity market and spot price has risen from £597/£600 to nearly £658/£660 per metric ton since mid december, that's 6p per killo

Diesel is the same £1.43/L tonight, £1.40/L on Sunday, same diesel in the garage tank as my local garage only get delivers on Saturdays...whats changed, the spot price for diesel due to Coryton

Last edited:
I mean't we'd need a wheelbarrow to carry our money - a la Germany in the 30s

Apples £1 /lb !!!!!

I mean't we'd need a wheelbarrow to carry our money - a la Germany in the 30s

Apples £1 /lb !!!!!

Yes, and that led to WW2

I recollect In The Lion's Den saying sugar would go up strongly in price a while ago. Well done on him but there were a few dissenters. :)

Yes, and that led to WW2

I recollect In The Lion's Den saying sugar would go up strongly in price a while ago. Well done on him but there were a few dissenters. :)

well if Iran suddenly stop exporting oil in retaliation to the sanction then ,i am using my OAP bus pass to get to my bees, may take three hours round trip but it is free

I recollect In The Lion's Den saying sugar would go up strongly in price a while ago.

Very pleased that a friend and myself have good deal on the go for buying cheap sugar in that case.;)

I get my sugar for free from Tesco's - speak to the management and explain why you want the sugar and ask if they will keep the burst bags of sugar for you. Normally it is just thrown away but my local Tescos here in Ireland cant do enough for me in that regard - normally get about 20kgs a week from them and its only a small Tescos.

Probably commodity speculation. It is under discussion whether to phase out the EU sugar quotas soon or to postpone it for 2020.

Either you aren't based at the place the side banner says or Wales has declared UDI.

Last time I checked Wales was part of Britain, both politically and geographically.

And long may it remain so - just injecting a bit of humour, all this independence nonsense is getting to me a bit! :D

"The Cumbrian

Either you aren't based at the place the side banner says or Wales has declared UDI.

Last time I checked Wales was part of Britain, both politically and geographically."

The Welsh Assembly?

- -

Jenkinsbrynmair, you weren't with Owain, sons of. :)

And the cottage burners dissuading second homers from emptying the villages. Didn't work; unfortunately, some might say. :eek:

And the cottage burners dissuading second homers from emptying the villages. Didn't work; unfortunately, some might say. :eek:

They have lost interest in that now,newest fad could be burning windmills...lol:biggrinjester:

Last edited:
Back