What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to the Meldrews! 50 years is quite good - no, very good!

We have no chance as it is our second time around and only met in1998. The in-laws managed their 70th and the Queen's dept had to send two messages as they got the wrong decade with the first one!

Regards, RAB

Congrats to Mr and Mrs Meldrew. Your marriage has lasted 49 and a half years longer than mine!;)
Today I made a manipulation cloth out of a pillow case and bamboo canes. Bit Heath Robinson but worth a try. No sign of the girls - weather has been miserable.

Replaced rubbishy brick solid home made fondant with lovely squishy new fondant. First good day and lots of too-ing and fro-ing. Only my second winter so too, too excited to see signs of life. bee-smillie

Checked my varroa board after a week and found no mites. Yes, that's ZERO mites.

I know it is daft to worry about something I can do nothiong about, but this lot were crawling last September and had a high mite drop after Apigard.

I can't believe OA Could have removed 100% of mites, so coul it be the oil I treated my board with is not sticky enough? On checking,m it was still pretty slick with it, but I didn't have any Vaseline.

Congrats to Mr & Mrs Meldrew.

I did nothing in the apiary but received the good news that Mrs B is taking the kids off somewhere tomorrow afternoon and I'm not expected to attend; which means I should be able to get another coat of paint on the WBC that I am renovating without fear of painting the kids too. :D

EDIT: Actually, make that later today, didn't realise what time it was!

Checked the varroa board in my new empty hive and the wind has blown it away to God knows where! Garry, my husband has made a new one from an old house for sale sign! He is clever. I think I might keep him. (34 years married this year)

Bought some bee friendly seeds and plants; tried to design a honey label. Exercised strength of will not to do anything with hives - too cold here.

Removed cells from finishers and packaged some of these for the customers to collect.

Git ! I dont even look for drone cells being layed up untill I see some dandelions blooming

Watched the sleet...

Persisting down all day yesterday - so started making more supers - 11 colonies 28 supers - I'm nearly there!

Congratulations John and Wife, we have managed 10 and we (I) am happy so far... got wood for bee hive stands, watched the bees flying, cleaned the wellies in the deep lying water... ah well least the rains good for something...planted strawberry plants and watered the pea bean and etc plants starting off...

Congratulations John and Wife, we have managed 10 and we (I) am happy so far... got wood for bee hive stands, watched the bees flying, cleaned the wellies in the deep lying water... ah well least the rains good for something...planted strawberry plants and watered the pea bean and etc plants starting off...
I also cleaned the wellies in standing water ;).
Added fondant to two colonies and am now about to make some more, at least one other colony has consumed all theirs plus removing the cling-film entirely
:)
Thanks for congrats , the remaining guests will depart tomorrow so things can get back to normal :rofl:

John W

Removed more cells from the finishers to the incubator. Moved cells from starters to finishers and grafted more cells in to the starters. Filled cages with attendant bees. Just about to load up mating nucs and take them to the apiary after it gets dark.
Things are getting busy and the bees are buzzing well!!

Things are getting busy and the bees are buzzing well!!

Someones going to have a contract out on you if you carry on like this! By the way sleet & snow in Yorkshire last weekend and nothing happened in the Apairy!

Nothing doing here....misty all day and everything dripping.
Checked stocks of supers/frames to make up and foundation. Popped into homebase for some colour charts and stencil ideas (found bees and butterflies :)) for new national polyhive-to-be from Rooftops.....

Latest posts

Back