What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what did you select Jallen? How many frames, radial or tangential, manual or electric?

I honestly wouldn't know where to put an extractor, although the OH thinks she has the answer.Apparently it's likely to be a personal experience best avoided . . . :)

looooooooool

Well, today, as the bees were flying so strongly in the garden, I thought I would go and check out my other colonies.

All hives busy at my other three presently occupied sites, so no colony losses - so far.

No oxalic acid treatment either - on any of them. I will be resuming checks and continuing mite population reducion shortly. The early inspections will be the main indicators, but I am not anticipating any great problems.

Four, maybe more, will be opened very shortly for addition of some spring feed. Apart from those, the rest can be left un-disturbed for the time being.

RAB

sat in the garden with a cuppa, watching all 3 colonies flying strongly, bringing in pollen and water.

Watched the bee colonies in the garden, all out flying well.

All tidying up and despatching the corpses.

Only one bringing in significant pollen as yet, primrose yellow ahd darker yellow, not sure what or where from though. Perhaps some kind soul has a lovely garden not too far away with a carpet of crocus etc. maybe. :) Patties this evening.

Checked fondant in garden hives. Hardly used. Both colonies flying strongly and bringing in pollen.

Went in pm to local apiary and spent 2 hours digging earth, levelling ground and laying flagstones prior to first meeting of the year on Saturday. All colonies flying strongly except one looking rather doubtful.

Rain tomorrow.:nopity:

The Bees were out enjoying the sunshine today.
I watched them bringing in pollen from the crocus flowers,
topped up their Fondant supplies and then left them to it.

18 degrees, and lovely - popped out to check fondant (which was long gone) and peeped under crown board to see top super absolutely chock a block! So popped out a full frame and put in a new one, to give them some room. All trousers coming in either orange or white, daily training flights and looking totally happy!

Mine were out, fed Neopoll, no pollen being brought in.

Farmer came to see me and I am moving out as the bees are collecting dust from cattle feed and creating a problem.

All I bloody need at the moment.

PH

Put a new roof on one of my hives and watched them for a bit. Lots of pollen coming in and lots of activity. All have neopol now and are bringing in pollen as well. Not made much impact on the Neopol yet. All 12 hives working, no losses yet.

18 degrees, and lovely - popped out to check fondant (which was long gone) and peeped under crown board to see top super absolutely chock a block! So popped out a full frame and put in a new one, to give them some room. All trousers coming in either orange or white, daily training flights and looking totally happy!

18 degrees thats like a temperature I could only dream about 9 degrees hear bees out flying in all directions

. . . the bees are collecting dust from cattle feed and creating a problem . . .

So, making their own patties by collecting the dust from soya(?) based cattle feed. Smart bees, watch out for a messenger from the local brewery next. :auto:

What happens if you don't move them far enough and they still decide to forage there? The farmer will still have a problem, but no recourse to complain.

Did you ask him what the cattle feed actually was? It might be of interest for all those beeks seeking protien supplies for making patties. Even cheaper than buying it, trade a couple of kg for a jar of honey.

Last edited:
Unpacked a new cedar hive and squatted outside in the afternoon sun gently rubbing best boiled linseed oil onto outer surfaces. 2 hrs later, dry silky surface looks fabulous. Made to last, and will try to keep it that way.

nice warm evening so spent half an hour trimming down a very large sheaf of dogwood prunings (off the verges at gatwick!!!) into handbaggage length pieces to take home and plant.

Finished constructing a living willow fence and watched the bees brining in loads of pollen. The pollen a good sign as I think one of the colonies lost the queen late last year so may still have hope 50/50 me thinks.

Watched bees for ages and smiled a lot. 8 year old daughter helped me treat outside of new supers. Rain coming in I fear.

Went to see bees loads of pollen coming in aconite pollen and snowdrop pleased today

went to check on the girls today, while they was out and about on mass, had a quick look inside and got a surprise, 2 hives only had a handfull of bees in ( no hope :( ), and one was a drome layer( looks like they raised a new Q over the winter period) so im hopefull for them . all the others have a small batch of broad at diff stages now to leave alone for a while and let the girls to get on with what they know best.....

So, making their own patties by collecting the dust from soya(?) based cattle feed. Smart bees, watch out for a messenger from the local brewery next. :auto:

Langstroff observed bees collecting Rye Flour from a local mill when there was a dearth of pollen and from his observations, began to put out trays of rye flour approx. 10 feet in front of his hives and let the bees gather what they wanted or needed.

As for what I did in the apiary today (or yesterday for that matter) - absolutely nowt! I'll save the apiary work for Saturday when, if the weather and temperature is right, I hope to do a quick check on one of my colonies as i believe they superceded their Queen and I am hoping I don't have a drone layer....... external signs are good so far.

Latest posts

Back