Wax moth control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
¿Quizás deberías responder por qué o en qué situación te encuentras?

I managed to buy a 200g bag of B.T from eBay it came from India and took about a fortnight to arrive but it was really cheap less than £15 if I remember. Worked great on my allotment crops.
Just search for bacillus thuringiensis.
Also topbuxus is available on Amazon. Same stuff.

Last edited:
¿Quizás deberías responder por qué o en qué situación te encuentras?
El encabezado sugeriría polilla de cera.

Disculpe al traductor en línea, mi español no es muy bueno.

El encabezado sugeriría polilla de cera.

Disculpe al traductor en línea, mi español no es muy bueno.
In what stage is the moth, how much does it affect, a populated hive, wet supers or just old combs, is it a preventive application

Just wondering if as said, freezing kills wax moth - I store kit in an unheated caravan, or stacked in the apiary. Surely over winter the freezing weather would do the same job as a chest freezer?

Using a domestic chest freezer at around -18C for 48 hours might work though in practice it doesn't always.

200g bag of B.T from eBay ... really cheap.
Just search for bacillus thuringiensis.
It's not Bacillus thuringiensis that deals with wax moth but B.t kurstaki.

There are twelve strains of B.t. that deal with specific pests; for example, B.t. israeliensis kills mosquito, gnat and blackflies and B.t.aizawai (aka Top Buxus) kills box moth and all sorts of caterpillars, including wax moth larvae. However, I have heard anecdotally from a professional gardener & beekeeper that resistance to B.t.a. has begun to develop.

It's not Bacillus thuringiensis that deals with wax moth but B.t kurstaki.

There are twelve strains of B.t. that deal with specific pests; for example, B.t. israeliensis kills mosquito, gnat and blackflies and B.t.aizawai (aka Top Buxus) kills box moth and all sorts of caterpillars, including wax moth larvae. However, I have heard anecdotally from a professional gardener & beekeeper that resistance to B.t.a. has begun to develop.
Dipel is Bacillus Thuringiensis - I've been using it successfully for years for wax moth control. Prior to it being removed from sale I used Certan B401 which is Bacillus thurigiensis

https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealth/wp-content/uploads/B401_MSDS.pdf

Dipel is Bacillus Thuringiensis - I've been using it successfully for years for wax moth control. Prior to it being removed from sale I used Certan B401 which is Bacillus thurigiensis

https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealth/wp-content/uploads/B401_MSDS.pdf
Interestingly my Dipel has a use by date of 2021 and I’m still using it,
I had a dead out a month or so ago which was infested with wax moth so I decided to test it’s efficacy. I gave the brood box a good spray from above,closed it up and 4 weeks later there was no sign of any live moth in there.

In what stage is the moth, how much does it affect, a populated hive, wet supers or just old combs, is it a preventive application
All stages, even the flappers, although I don't believe it is advertised to do the latter. I wouldn't use it on a hive of bees (no need) but it's excellent for wet combs, dry combs, old supers, poly supers and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.

Not a preventative because it needs WM eggs and larvae to remain alive. While in powder form it remains dormant and returns to life when mixed with water. Viable for 12 hours in the sprayer; I use about a teaspoon for a litre.

Latest posts

Back