Wax moth nematodes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Following a recent inspection I found swarm preps underway in a couple of colonies and pagdened them. This prompted a check of spare equipment with a discovery of wax moth web and damage in one of the spare brood boxes. I've got some dipel so apart from removing chrysalis for combustion I googled wax moth treatments and came across a new (to me) option. It seems to be aimed at protecting bumblebee nests but if you look into the blurb it shows photos which look like honeycomb.
Dragonfli Wax Moth Killer Nematodes - Naturally Kill Wax Moth Grub Pests & Protect Your Bumblebee Colonies Dragonfli Wax Moth Killer Nematodes - Naturally Kill Wax Moth Grub Pests & Protect Your Bumblebee Colonies : Amazon.co.uk: Garden

Looking on their website the nematodes will not persist in the absence of wax moth larvae.
I suspect you are better sticking with Dipell etc

Get a sulphur burner and hit the box with the waxmoth with that. I use dipel over winter but a sulphur burning will be quicker at this time of the year.

Do you make the Dipel treatment as per the instructions to treat for caterpillars? How heavy do you spray it on? I lost 10 "wet" stored supers over winter to wax moth and I can't afford a repeat of that this year. I thought they were pretty safe if left wet and hadn't had brood in.

Do you make the Dipel treatment as per the instructions to treat for caterpillars? How heavy do you spray it on? I lost 10 "wet" stored supers over winter to wax moth and I can't afford a repeat of that this year. I thought they were pretty safe if left wet and hadn't had brood in.
I use a teaspoon per litre, a light spray over each comb face plus the internal faces of the super. I'm still waiting for it to expire as it's a few years over the expiry date but the supers are all clear so far.
One thing with wax moth, can be present in any hive, I killed a larva today in a very strong colony. If there is any pollen in the comb, it's a magnet.

I use a teaspoon per litre, a light spray over each comb face plus the internal faces of the super. I'm still waiting for it to expire as it's a few years over the expiry date but the supers are all clear so far.
One thing with wax moth, can be present in any hive, I killed a larva today in a very strong colony. If there is any pollen in the comb, it's a magnet.
Thanks.

I'm belt and braces now - do a sulphur burn as I stack the supers ready for storage and then a couple of days later spray them with Dipel as per Swarm. The sulphur dioxide kills and resident eggs, moths and larvae but the Dipel protects them from anything that manages to survive the sulphur burn. I've lost frames to wax moth in the past and it's something that you seek to avoid after the experience of clearing up the mess they leave.

I'm belt and braces now - do a sulphur burn as I stack the supers ready for storage and then a couple of days later spray them with Dipel as per Swarm. The sulphur dioxide kills and resident eggs, moths and larvae but the Dipel protects them from anything that manages to survive the sulphur burn. I've lost frames to wax moth in the past and it's something that you seek to avoid after the experience of clearing up the mess they leave.
I will look into it, thanks.

Latest posts

Back