Wax for shows

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebop

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all, has any body got any hints or tips on preparing wax for showing, never done it before and thought i might give it a go at our local honey show this year. Does any one know what the judge is supposed to be looking for? Look forward to hearing from you.

Preferable you start with cappings wax and filter it to be as clean as you can get it. My final filter was surgical lint.

The problem and hence the challenge is that for every time you melt it you darken it and the target is to have it as light as possible on the show bench.

Choose a bonny mould to make it look pretty.

If you try for a large cake then the issue becomes shrinkage and cracking avoided by cooling slowly.

Have fun, but be aware it is a lot of work to get it just right.

PH

Hi as polyhive as stated a lot of patience. We use rainwater to wash the cappings
also allow for waste that stays in the lint when being strained .We use a shiny mould.
When the wax is cold we place it in water so hopefully it will release it self from the mould.I can tell you the failure is great until you get the perfect piece for show.

Choose a bonny mould to make it look pretty.

Have fun, but be aware it is a lot of work to get it just right.

PH

Could you use something like these silicone moulds from Lakeland?

I salvaged some wax this weekend and not having a properly clean (OK to cook spuds in but not what you'd call CLEAN) roasting dish I used a square silicone cake dish. The wax came out beautifully smooth....I couldn't see a blemish.

Last edited:
So i'm trying to produce as pale a wax as possible with no cracks or bits in. Thanks all i'll give it a go and see what happens.

have a look on the 'national honey show' site for tips on how to prepare wax for the show bench

So i'm trying to produce as pale a wax as possible with no cracks or bits in. Thanks all i'll give it a go and see what happens.

I'm no expert but was looking at the wax at Royal Cornwall Show this year and the accompanying placard said something like that the judge would be lookng for dandelion - buttercup yellow, translucent wax. (probably something else also).

Left me wondering my white wax (unbleached) wouldnt be any good. I realise that the aroma wouldn't be as good but any other reasons???

show wax

Hi,we use a melamite ceral bowl what you can get at poundland.
We float it in near boiling water so the bowl hot for when the melted wax is poured in for this we use a old milk saucepan.We fasten a piece of lint over the bowl ie strong elastic band to secure it then leave to go cold.Then sink the bowl in cold water and the wax should float out.We have always shown a straw colour wax and use this season wax cappings for this.We have taken many first prizes at shows so for us it is a proven method. colin

Latest posts

Back