Show stand...any tips?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There's a local agricultural/farmers fair in two days and I've been offered a stand. I've never done one before, have nothing except honey, wax, a few candles and a wife who's prepared to sell on my behalf because I'll be at work, so not prepped and little time to do any.

Any show veterans able to offer any tips?

We have a card reader, a friend who's willing to assist and that's about it so far. I was thinking of offering tasting...wooden sticks and a runny and set option or similar. SWMBO is pretty knowledgeable on the hives/bees/processing so can talk bees to anyone who might be interested but if anyone has any ideas and experience I'd be happy to take advice and suggestions.

Thanks

Drape the table with something colourful but not OTT. You need the honey to be centre stage.
Take frame of honey if you have one
Put your smoker on the table and drape a bee suit over the corner
I use paper straws cut in half to dip into tasters.
Watch your customers like a hawk so that they don't double dip
Have some kitchen roll and wet wipes to mop up sticky table and fingers.
Good luck

not prepped and little time to do any
It's an agricultural fair so fit in by using as much used kit as you can to dress the table and provoke conversation.

Hessian table-cloth is ideal (I use old cotton decorating sheets) and take several used smokers which will give off a pungent smell. Stuff the spouts with autumn flowers. Have a Haynes Bee Manual for kids to look at.

Salient points of presentation and selling is to suggest abundance, so fill the table with all the stock that will fit, and get it on and above table level.

To do that use brood boxes and supers (colourful, rough and ready or ancient adds to the flavour) and have a lid on top to set out jars: I use clearer boards or fill the box with new frames.

Have a clear price card. The only smart item on my table is the price card holder.

Tasters increase sales but need to be managed and if wasps are about you'll have to clear it away.

Don't take chairs because sitting gives the wrong impression. Wear bee suits which gives the right impression.

Price your honey with care and whatever you do, don't give discount.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cle...cso=_q-MoY9DnIcWA8gLYn4V4_5:523.2000122070312

Definitely tasters. Many have never tasted real honey beyond supermarket rubbish. Tell them about adulteration. Emphasize natural and pure. Tell them about flavours and colour and comb. Tell them about beekeeping!

Some great suggestions, thank you.
I will have capped frames so will take one, and like the idea of using supers as display shelves. Didn't think of taking smoker or gear but will dress the stand with paraphernalia and books. And acrylic price stand ordered.

One thing I might have completely overlooked, does anyone take out any sort of public liability insurance for these sort of events? It would be sods law that someone tripped on my new hessian table cloth and banged their head on the table.

Thanks

Some great suggestions, thank you.
I will have capped frames so will take one, and like the idea of using supers as display shelves. Didn't think of taking smoker or gear but will dress the stand with paraphernalia and books. And acrylic price stand ordered.

One thing I might have completely overlooked, does anyone take out any sort of public liability insurance for these sort of events? It would be sods law that someone tripped on my new hessian table cloth and banged their head on the table.

Thanks
If you are a member of a BKA, your membership should include PLI for events. Suggest you check.

Never joined an association so it was a quick check, don't have cover that way. Could be the thing that finally makes me join one.

If you're outside and it's a sunny day wear a hat. Nothing puts people off more than trying to see you behind a large pair of sunglasses.

If you have access to printer bee colouring pictures for children are a good freebie handout

I had a look at BBKA today after JBMs suggestion, £30 direct, a local association is £27. It goes up slightly dependant on hive numbers.
Neither is going to be completed soon enough so if I need to it will be something like National Market Traders Federation membership.

So far jars are prepped, table layout idea sort of done, a bit of printing to do but we'll just give it a go and see what happens.

Intesting thing is laying out 100 jars and seeing the range of shades and clarity. Each super went into 10 litre buckets this year and jarring them in separate runs has meant shades ranging from brown to gold and clear or hazy. Very pleased with how they look so fingers crossed they make a display that attracts attention.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll let you know how it goes.

Definitely tasters. Many have never tasted real honey beyond supermarket rubbish. Tell them about adulteration. Emphasize natural and pure. Tell them about flavours and colour and comb. Tell them about beekeeping!
I've often taken a jar of the cheapest, nastiestly packaged supermarket honey so people can taste the difference ...there's always going to be one who prefers the supermarket own label but the majority are astounded at the difference in taste you get from 'real' honey ...

Latest posts

Back