Card readers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iZettle

Perfect in every regard IMHO. Simple. Technically flawless. Relatively inexpensive (i.e. the % transaction fee) for the type of sales we make (e.g. no flat fee element).

Better integrations than most and decent reporting (if that's what you want).

Avoid PayPal there barstewards!!!!

p.s. I agree with Ian completely. Note, however, that PayPal acquired iZettle not too long back. I hope/think iZettle will retain its identity and innovation. A Swedish company, I hope that like another (Volvo), its purchase by a behemoth won't turn it into crap.

Last edited:
takepayments.com
cordless ... contactless.. Covid 19 friendly... works everywhere... hop between all availiable systems and wi fi
£22pcm plus your usual card service charges... additional sales at the farm gate, in the wholesalers and at the retail shops....and at the few and far between farmers ( and if Boris doesn't totally cancel Christmas) the up and coming festive seasonal events.. worth ever penny to quadruple++++ sales!

MBC... if they cancelled Trident.. we could all have a big holiday, before the Russians invaded?

Chons da

I sell most of my honey to regular customers ... most of the time for cash. I've found this year, because of Covid, that people seem to have less ready cash on them. It's not a problem, I always get paid but then I thought ... it would be that much easier if was able to offer card payment. The local kebab van down at the station even offers card payment and connects via his mobile phone. I know there will be a cost to taking payments by card but ... the upside is that the evidence is that people who shop and pay with cards are more likely to buy more ~ Let's face it ~ plastic money is not real is it ?

I've seen a few of the options on the internet but to be honest ... I'm none the wiser - it's a bit like mobile phone tariffs, not easy to make direct comparisons (and I'm a bit dim as well when it comes to things like this .._

So .. question .. does anyone use a mobile card reader, are there any disadvantages, any recommendations, costs, limitations .... anything that would point me in the right direction ?
I sell most of my honey to regular customers ... most of the time for cash. I've found this year, because of Covid, that people seem to have less ready cash on them. It's not a problem, I always get paid but then I thought ... it would be that much easier if was able to offer card payment. The local kebab van down at the station even offers card payment and connects via his mobile phone. I know there will be a cost to taking payments by card but ... the upside is that the evidence is that people who shop and pay with cards are more likely to buy more ~ Let's face it ~ plastic money is not real is it ?

I've seen a few of the options on the internet but to be honest ... I'm none the wiser - it's a bit like mobile phone tariffs, not easy to make direct comparisons (and I'm a bit dim as well when it comes to things like this .._

So .. question .. does anyone use a mobile card reader, are there any disadvantages, any recommendations, costs, limitations .... anything that would point me in the right direction ?
reviews for mobile card readers:
https://www.comparecardservices.co....HWc1wIok-wt_eEeUaAmxlEALw_wcB&question_page=4

iZettle - never heard of it until now but don't want it either. Paying for their service when PayPal can be done for nothing with security for your payment thrown in if there is trouble and inter-bank transfers through my bank with immediate payment have got to be better and cheaper. iZettle has got to be just another money-making winkle that the world could do without frankly. I sell my honey on the door for cash using the 'Nextdoor' website to offer it. That's free too.

iZettle - never heard of it until now but don't want it either. Paying for their service when PayPal can be done for nothing with security for your payment thrown in if there is trouble and inter-bank transfers through my bank with immediate payment have got to be better and cheaper. iZettle has got to be just another money-making winkle that the world could do without frankly. I sell my honey on the door for cash using the 'Nextdoor' website to offer it. That's free too.

Good luck with the 21st century Afermo.

Let's just be clear, 1) standard PayPal = no card reader, and 2) nobody should begrudge a business (heaven forfend !) charging for a value-add service. You will of course remember the days that banks charged consumers for the privilege of banking their cash (Now, of course, they still make profits from you, but in somewhat more opaque ways)

Horses for courses, but the writing is on the wall for cash... even for selling jars of honey.

Pay pal should be avoided imo and I’ll give the reason why. My partner has a long standing training/coaching business that has customers/franchisees world wide. After a particularly busy period of sales/events PayPal unannounced they decided to retain 30% of payments for 3 months. The reason being in case any asked for refunds. None ever had and none did but for 3 months they held the money and there was sweet fanny Adams you can do about it so avoid the f&”@:;/.

Pay pal should be avoided imo and I’ll give the reason why. My partner has a long standing training/coaching business that has customers/franchisees world wide. After a particularly busy period of sales/events PayPal unannounced they decided to retain 30% of payments for 3 months. The reason being in case any asked for refunds. None ever had and none did but for 3 months they held the money and there was sweet fanny Adams you can do about it so avoid the f&”@:;/.
Yes ... they have a habit of writing their own rules ... bit like ebay which spawned them I'm afraid. A somewhat necessary evil both of them but they are both in it to maximise their own profits and control everything to ensure they get every last penny. Their lawyers must spend hours thinking up new ways of restricting you from doing anything that will cut them out of the loop and their cut of the cash ...

Good luck with the 21st century Afermo.

Horses for courses, but the writing is on the wall for cash... even for selling jars of honey.

Ahh .. but Afermo has only just gone decimal... give him time ... there's life in the old dog yet !

Yes ... they have a habit of writing their own rules ... bit like ebay which spawned them I'm afraid. A somewhat necessary evil both of them but they are both in it to maximise their own profits and control everything to ensure they get every last penny. Their lawyers must spend hours thinking up new ways of restricting you from doing anything that will cut them out of the loop and their cut of the cash ...
Ebay own Paypal

Ahh .. but Afermo has only just gone decimal... give him time ... there's life in the old dog yet !
I thought he had been inching his way towards the new currency... be using half pound jars next!:laughing-smiley-014

Izettle is great.
Lost count of the number of customers who have very little cash and when they realise they can pay by card buy a few more jars. Many have gone away with ten (as I do a deal of ten 227g for £50 saving £10) instead of one.

Back