What did you think of BBKA new Venue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danbee
Julie was more than happy to receive the books, and we were all jealous of her bargains, despite (or maybe because of) the reccomender!
She was a bit sus of the chap behind her who then stalked her until she paid!
Eb

:) Make sure she shares them around!

Great photo opportunities of rape with a background of changing skies to be had on the way.

Car parking was efficient BUT much, much too far away from the action. This saved me ££££'s as I couldn't carry anything I wanted back to the car.
Maybe have the parking near the hall left for pick up only with a shopping creche? But hey, the further away the car is the less I spend - more ££ saved.

Friendly BBKA reception/volunteer staff and friendly catering staff.

Trade hall seemed larger than those halls at Stoneleigh.
It was a shame that the card readers didn't work! Some traders had hired these for the event!

There was no vegetarian food option on Sunday, just an over baked jacket potato. The food on Sunday was ghastly but on Saturday there were veg sandwiches. I'll take my own next year!

My girlfriend went to the soap workshop. Too many people who were then divided into groups which were dominated by elderly, large, would be alpha females who didn't let anyone else have a go. She also commented that the course tutor wasn't very good.

Other workshops and lectures were great.

Didn't stay at the accommodation on site but it looked ok.

Signposting on site could be better - didn't notice the bee posts until we left!

Maybe back next year.

I went up the day before and took SWMBO to a nice B&B i know about 20mins away.
I went to the museum at RAF Cosford on the way up and let the wife have a good nose around Shrewbury which she thought was the most charming of towns.
I took a folding trolley with me and parked the car on the opposite side of the road.
Being fit and active for an old fart I was able to cope with my packages at the kissing gate.
Had to help two others though to lift boxes over the gate.
Wife suggested to the air cadet on duty that they should obtain trolleys neaxt year and make money by transporting packages to cars. Good idea I thought.
I felt there were a lot less people ther, just an impression???
I also thought that there were less trade stalls and buying was less frantic.
I quite liked the venue but can see that there were a number of drawbacks.
I wonder how the powers that be will view the the new venue??

My apologies to the lady whom I piled up with recommended books from the 2nd hand stall, and for the chap just behind her (Nic Rhodes perhaps?) who may have just missed some favourites. In my defence I was only trying to help, nice to find people interested in bee books :)

Can't fault your advice to her (and the books you bought), I would have had those as well. That early Sealey ...:) and I never have seen your Pollen book either...;) ended up going round the stall about four times in the end and made several other purchases later after my friend turned up late who I was supposed to meet there at 9.30

Last edited:
Observations

1. Why did the BBKA not bother to sell their range of merchandise seeing as they had a great big stand ? I wanted something and was told to order it online:banghead:

2. Why was a well known bookseller charging £60 for Keeping Healthy Honeybees when I bought a copy online last week for £15.95 ?

3.Why do some traders try to sell their stock for alot more than other traders ? I saw basic hive tools ranging from £3 up to £10. We are not stupid -(well most of us arnt anyway!)

There was no vegetarian food option on Sunday, just an over baked jacket potato. The food on Sunday was ghastly but on Saturday there were veg sandwiches. I'll take my own next year!

We took our own Fri and Sat, but on Sunday it was included in the workshop cost. Soooo...the only hot veggie option was vegetable "sweet and sour" which luckily wasn't: not overcooked and tasty with the slightly crucified baked potato, assorted very tasty salads, roll, excellent Welsh yog, strawberries and a roll and butter with coffee, and chilled water on the tables. Good varied selection of non-veggie too. As a veteran of on-site catering at big Agri shows this was a cut above and no draughty temporary marquees either :). Can only think you were eating at the other end of the building?

Last edited:
The journey was longer for me, though I did combine it with visiting relatives rather than drive there on one of the exhibition days. I'd heard that things would be closer together but I must have misheard. It seemed less congested, Seemed a good range of exhibitors and items in the trade hall with more space to move - that was a huge improvement. I didn't go to any talks in the end - the impression was that it was clear what was on and where; signposts quite effective; food seemed good. Next time I'll try some but I was wary because I am allergic to the protein in cows milk and too many places use milk in almost everything. Jacket potatoes are usually safe and it looked as though they had a range. I didn't queue for the loos and they were clean enough. parking seemed very spread out. I was not very impressed with collection. If the vans had been named or there had been indication of who was where that would have helped. Compaq had a sign - but there was a sort of one way system for cars and the sign was facing the wrong way - if you had managed to look in your rear mirror you might have spotted it once you'd gone past but actually you were too busy looking ahead to see if there was space / avoid mud / avoid reversing vehicles. The people on the vans were friendly and helpful enough but there wasn't really enough space. my assumption was that we were supposed to park on the left of the first section by the lorries leaving room for those who had already collected to drive through and out but some people just blocked this road whilst they were loading. Again, if it had been clear which suppliers were parked where, people would probably have managed to park near those they needed to collect from and there would have been less time tied up trolleying boxes back to cars.

I thought the area was lovely. Shropshire has a good mix of rural activity; the college seemed well managed and somehow properly rooted in its surroundings. of course Telford has an industrial heritage as well. It crossed my mind that it would be a great location for a bee related business that combined being a supplier of the paraphernalia and keeping /breeding bees. Oh the mass of OSR - but also the variety of trees, gardens etc. Shropshire is an underrated county really. I particularly recommend Ellesmere, about 45 minutes away and often called the Little lake district. I'd probably try to make more of a holiday and attend more days next time. Stoneleigh made it possible to go daily for one day or two but for me this venue doesn't allow me to do that.

Stoneleigh made it possible to go daily for one day or two but for me this venue doesn't allow me to do that.

Commuted Fri, Sat and Sun....and back on Wed as DD3 has an interview as she will likely make HA her insurance choice for uni.

We took our own Fri and Sat, but on Sunday it was included in the workshop cost. Soooo...the only hot veggie option was vegetable "sweet and sour" which luckily wasn't: not overcooked and tasty with the slightly crucified baked potato, assorted very tasty salads, roll, excellent Welsh yog, strawberries and a roll and butter with coffee, and chilled water on the tables. Good varied selection of non-veggie too. As a veteran of on-site catering at big Agri shows this was a cut above and no draughty temporary marquees either :). Can only think you were eating at the other end of the building?

The sweet and sour sauce was not guaranteed vegetarian as we asked, and the salads, apart from the lettuce, mostly had mayonnaise/gloop on. No plain yog without additives/flavourings/colourings. You must have eaten the strawberries as I never saw them. You'd be surprised at what seemingly innocent veggie looking food contains the bits of animals you would never eat! It's still not easy being a non flesh eater.

3.Why do some traders try to sell their stock for alot more than other traders ? I saw basic hive tools ranging from £3 up to £10. We are not stupid -(well most of us arnt anyway!)

I've converted one of those £3 tools into a spoon before on it's first use. You soon realise it's best to pay for something that works.

Adam

I've converted one of those £3 tools into a spoon before on it's first use. You soon realise it's best to pay for something that works.

Adam

:iagree:

Buy the rigid stainless steel ones. Best value every time.

:iagree:

Buy the rigid stainless steel ones. Best value every time.

I'd disagree, and go for the Taylor's Eye Witness hive tools. Sheffield made, tool steel, last a lifetime. Often imitated (poorly) and hard to find by name unless you think Modern and Beekeeping... ;)

In the spirit of recycling (poly vs wood hives), I make my own from scrap steel. Neither I nor any human I know could bend it...:)

Loved the entrance - is this new or old hat?

581588_10150663565086666_598506665_9493712_1272668739_n.jpg

This was taken on the Friday - Saturday people were being let in in batches - I'd wandered in unchallenged 'round the back before it opened and was talking to Paynes when the rush started.

People didn't have tickets and wrist bands were often hidden by jackets so I thing the doormen were jsutified in their request to be shown them!

I did notice a grumpy couple who were without wrist bands at this entrance - seems they'd missed ALL the signage directing them to the Reception.

Accommodation was noisy on the Friday night with some of the exhibitors (allegedly) partying into the early hours. Me, I slept in my car and saved £90. :)

R2

I'd disagree, and go for the Taylor's Eye Witness hive tools. Sheffield made, tool steel, last a lifetime. Often imitated (poorly) and hard to find by name unless you think Modern and Beekeeping... ;)

You can also ring TEW in Sheffield and they will post out to you at very reasonable prices; they were also quite happy to send me just one tool.

You can also ring TEW in Sheffield and they will post out to you at very reasonable prices; they were also quite happy to send me just one tool.

I ordered from them over the phone. Tel 0114 2724221

I posted the web catalogue link earlier but it's been edited out. The hive tools are currently listed on their site in "professional/trade tools (2)"

Region2, what kind of car do younhave to even consider lipping in it?

Latest posts

Back