Gower show - cancelled

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Just got back from the Gower show after staging my exhibits. The weather had improved this afternoon so was looking good for tomorrow, but I did notice there was a bit of a squally wind piping up as I left.
Got home to find the show had just that minute been cancelled, shortly after I left the squall had trashed four of the marquees, the honey tent has been trashed (one of our newly married members narrowly escaped being wiped out) some of the tables holding the commercial honeys and others had been upended - luckily someone managed to rescue all of the frame display cases.
Whole ground now closed down for H&S reasons so it will be tomorrow before we are allowed in to sort out the carnage
The association bee tent was wrecked as well - luckily the bees hadn't been moved in yet, same as all the observation hives which weren't due to be staged until later.

Last edited:
Just got back from the Gower show after staging my exhibits. The weather had improved this afternoon so was looking good for tomorrow, but I did notice there was a bit of a squally wind piping up as I left.
Got home to find the show had just that minute been cancelled, shortly after I left the squall had trashed four of the marquees, the honey tent has been trashed (one of our newly married members narrowly escaped being wiped out) some of the tables holding the commercial honeys and others had been upended - luckily someone managed to rescue all of the frame display cases.
Whole ground now closed down for H&S reasons so it will be tomorrow before we are allowed in to sort out the carnage
The association bee tent was wrecked as well - luckily the bees hadn't been moved in yet, same as all the observation hives which weren't due to be staged until later.
Crikey.
We nearly took the camper.

Crikey.
We nearly took the camper.
it was just five minutes. As I left I just had an uneasy feeling about the way the wind was behaving, I was chatting to one of the lads on the field about, although people were wringing their hands about mud on the field (seen a lot worse down there) it looked good for driving on to the field and parking behind the honey tent as I usually do. then I'd just got home when the Ayatolla said she'd just seen it on farcebook that they'd just cancelled!
Been feeling a bit negative about showing this year but after chatting to the folks down at the marquee and having the the accolade of honour from Mr Salkild (ex chair who had a heart attack a year or so ago so has had to give up his bees) when he saw my frame of honey, I just thought I was going to really enjoy the show tomorrow.
I'm gutted, and just a little bit worried as I always leave all my packing cases etc. down there as it's a long way to have the empty stuff clattering around in the back of the truck.
I really feel for those that have worked hard to get the show going this year, it's just a lovely relaxing 'family' day out

Latest posts

Back