Unknown flower

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
Hi, can anyone tell me what flower/plant this might be? It's a low level covering plant with the flowers about 30mm across and the bees seemed to like it.

Thanks,
Mike.

It's Limnanthes Douglasii (spelling my be a bit wrong!) or Poached Egg plant - the bees love them!

It is the Poached egg plant but it is hover flies that like it. The plant is to be encouraged because the hover flies will do a good job eating your greenfly, blackfly and other aphids and may avoid having to use spray.

We have a whole flower bed full of it. I sowed some 20 years ago and it self seeds every year...

Bees don't appear to care much for it: they prefer big poppies at this time...in the garden that is..

My girls love it, so do the bees at Blickling Hall.

Poached egg plant- will repeat flower and sows itself year after year. Great for all buzzy things!

I used to work at Eden where they had rows of this and I can tell you the bees were all over it. It was practically swimming with bees!!:drool5:

I have some in my garden and my bees love it, flying 1.5 miles to get to a few flowers. I presume they are my bees at least since I never saw honey bees in my garden until I got mine:conehead:

Hi, can anyone tell me what flower/plant this might be? It's a low level covering plant with the flowers about 30mm across and the bees seemed to like it.

Thanks,
Mike.

Poached egg plant and the bees just love it!
Louise

Latest posts

Back