Orchard planting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very rewarding though - or just get a man in (just make sure you specify what regional style you want.

Very true. I laid a section of hedge along our drive this winter in what appears to be a fairly traditional West Somerset style (cut at the base, lean the trunk over and contain the entire mess between two rows of stakes; tying it down with baler twine is optional). I've just been up the drive to collect the recycling bins and noticed that pretty much all of it has buds that are on the point of breaking. Given that it was my first ever attempt I'm quite pleased.

James

Very true. I laid a section of hedge along our drive this winter in what appears to be a fairly traditional West Somerset style (cut at the base, lean the trunk over and contain the entire mess between two rows of stakes; tying it down with baler twine is optional). I've just been up the drive to collect the recycling bins and noticed that pretty much all of it has buds that are on the point of breaking. Given that it was my first ever attempt I'm quite pleased.

James
very similar to the South Carmarthenshire style although rather than contain it within stakes, some of the forked thinnings are kept and used as hooks/staples and driven into the centre to hold it down (baler twine also being almost mandatory!) Then each year when ditching or cleaning ditches, the spoil would just be thrown on to the hedge thus forming a bank, so the next time the hedge is relaid its higher with a soil base.

I did a bit of hedge laying along the Wey and Arun canal over the last 20 odd years the trust have laid many miles of hedge.

What pruning regime (if any) will you use on the hedging?
We don't really plan to do much, to be honest.

We both like the natural look of the trees we've planted, be they as trees or as hedges, and we're quite content to let them go a bit wild and provide a natural haven for wildlife. It would also be in keeping with established hedges as the site hasn't ever been maintained, prior to use buying it, so the hedges are all wild and unruly, and we quite like it.

The exception is likely the fruit trees, to encourage better growth and, eventually, a better crop.

We did look at hedging (we liked the Midland), but it's a bit beyond my physical ability and we just don't feel the need. It can be messy instead (like our house (full of bee and horse stuff!)).

We don't really plan to do much, to be honest.
Very nice. Does anyone have a good explanation for the regular flailing of UK hedges? It can't be cheap, the machinery fuel burned is environmentally damaging, the loss of habitat is significant and unless needed for road safety or access, I struggle to understand why it's done.

Very nice. Does anyone have a good explanation for the regular flailing of UK hedges? It can't be cheap, the machinery fuel burned is environmentally damaging, the loss of habitat is significant and unless needed for road safety or access, I struggle to understand why it's done.
It never looks good but it does thicken up the hedges just as pruning would do and labour these day would be excessive to do it by hand.

I believe it was a requirement put in place by the EU (and thus still in place). I believe farmers are required to cut the hedges to a given height, outside of bird nesting periods.

I ordered the seeds of Japanese Raisin Tree ( Hovenia dulcis). Allegedly honey source in some years as Bee Bee Tree or better.. Also has red colored wood which is replacing mahogany. The last mentioned it is used in medicinal purposes..
We already have Bee Bee Tree, Golden Rain Tree, Thorny Honeylocust, Staghorn sumac..

It never looks good but it does thicken up the hedges just as pruning would do and labour these day would be excessive to do it by hand.
:iagree: leaving a hedge grow freely without a regular cutting back just means it shoots straight up and becomes very sparse at the base which is no good for anything - it also can block out a lot of light in the near areas around the hedge.

I believe it was a requirement put in place by the EU (and thus still in place). I believe farmers are required to cut the hedges to a given height, outside of bird nesting periods.
Not a requirement as far as I'm aware, unless it's something in a specific stewardship/ greening scheme.

There are grants available for traditional hedge laying but I've not heard about any such for flailing.

We tend to aim to lay a boundry each year, time permitting, and then have a guy come in with a flail to maintain once they've become established again.

Regarding Eric's point on cost ,even with current fuel prices, the cost compared to time saving is negligable.

Even on slopes with features, a skilled operator can be round in no time without damaging any young or established trees.

farmers are required to cut the hedges to a given height
For what reason, apart from road safety etc?

I understand the need for regular pruning to thicken growth (I was a pro gardener for 15 years) but agri cutting seems excessively regular, almost OCD, and from what I see, at varying heights.

Found this:

https://www.lowimpact.org/posts/why...er good reason for not,the time of laying it.
https://www.hedgelink.org.uk/cms/cms_content/files/76_ne_hedgecutting.pdf

Last edited:
Hope you are near Field Mill, can I recommend Future Fotests in Cork, a brilliant nursery especially for old fruit varieties, and greengages if you have a warm spot, far superior to plums in my opinion

Hope you are near Field Mill, can I recommend Future Fotests in Cork, a brilliant nursery especially for old fruit varieties, and greengages if you have a warm spot, far superior to plums in my opinion
I’m not near there unfortunately. 😔

I’ve got room for up to 170 trees in the orchard, so I plan to have a good variety, including greengage.

I'm a sucker for punishment, so I ordered another 6 trees to go in:
  • Cherry, Lapins Cherokee x 2
  • Cherry, Stella x 2
  • Cherry, Summer Sun x 2
These are all part of the same pollination group, so were a bit of a last minute purchase and will be planted together as a group. That'll take me to 30 trees in the orchard (so 20% through my goal for fruit and nut trees planted) and up to 903 trees planted in total.

That's really the end for this winter though as I still need to pay for my bees! 😅

I'm thinking about installing some raised beds for planting various herbs. I've thus far identified the following as potentially good, not only for me to use in my cooking, which I love to do, but for the bees to take advantage of for forage:
  • Rosemary
  • Lavender
  • Thyme
  • Mint
  • Sage
  • Tarragon
  • Fennel
  • Chives
I've also come across others I'm less familiar with, but I'm quite open to trying new things:
  • Borago officinalis (Borage)
  • Echium vulgare (Viper’s Bugloss)
  • Lippia dulcis (Aztec sweet herb)
  • Rumex scutatus (French sorrel)
  • Satureja montana (winter savory)
  • Angelica archangelica (Angelica)
  • Valeriana officinalis (Valerian)
Are there any others I should explore, or any above I should avoid?

We're also thinking about installing some trellis with Honeysuckle on, but need to be careful we're not crossing the line from agriculture into gardening, as that could land us in hot water with local planners. (They're a tad touchy and militant in my area...)

Oregano is absolutely marvellous. It teems with bees when it’s in flower
I have honeysuckle trailing through my hedges. Moths love it. I did one year see bees investigating it when there was nothing else for weeks

Melissa officinalis..
Inula helenium is dear to me, even we don't use it as a herb we still let it thrive at our property..

At my place bees avoid Salvia officinalis ( only bumblebees attend), but eagerly attend Salvia veriticillata, some medium attend Salvia pratensis, Salvia nemorosa and Salvia glutinosa..

Bees love my honeysuckle especially bumbles but if you are looking for something to trail in trees or hedges and are on an alkali soil go for clematis vitalba ( traveler’s joy) as it is always a major component of the pollen in the honey from my hive just under the Southdowns.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clematis_vitalba

Latest posts

Back