Heather research?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
too many for one apiary
Hi all

I stumbled across a piece of research about Calluna vulgaris (Ling Heather),
https://www.academia.edu/17745231/I...r_Climate_Stresses_on_Calluna_vulgaris_L_Hull
it mentions the (Growing) Degree Days (you can wiki it) needed for the Winter dormancy to end, or failing that a higher temperature could trigger the new years growth (important if the Winter is very mild, think global warming), I was surprised as it found that day light hours didn't seem to be an influencing factor!

It got me wondering about other Heathers such as Erica carnea, which grow during Summer BUT starts flowering during Winter, but I was unable to find any research on this.
Do Erica carnea bloom due to shortening days, but that wouldn't explain why some years the same plant in my garden can bloom a month early; is it's blooming triggered by low temperatures, which would mean it can't bloom indoors.

Does anyone know of any links with info. on Heather plants, in particular what triggers the various seasonal growth, flowering etc. I've done numerous searches and mostly come up with Heather Sales sites for gardens, or what little research I have found is about the Calluna.

It's a very popular plant (especially in Germany apparently) and important for many beekeepers (again traditionally in Germany northern Europe... and Scotland), so I thought there would be more easily available info. out there!

I think you have found the perfect question to ask the RHS scientific minds. A guess would be to suggest its linked in some way to a combination of the various stresses the plant undergoes over time, it is a native to higher regions, and grows in the poorest of soils so local climate must play a role.

Finland is full of Calluna vulgaris, but I doubt, that nothing to reseach in it.

Latest posts

Back