Cautiously optimistic newbie!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoothBees

Dyslexic Keebeeper
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi,

I thought I'd make an introduction, though there's not much to say as I'm completely new to this hobby.

I don't currently have a hive and I've never kept bees. I've recently taken an interest in the hobby having seen a small apiary in a park that's local to me. I've always had a fondness for bees being a fan of macro photography and keen on conservation. I've decided I'd like to be more active in creating a space for bees.

Here are a few shots I've taken of various bees (not all honey bees of course):

11894220_1033797509994277_6601280153517587650_o.jpg

10700285_850584628315567_7388203598191720061_o.jpg

1966078_850584251648938_8115830259505357351_o.jpg

I'm in the process of buying 9.5 acres of land in Nottinghamshire. The land is being purchased primarily for the purpose of grazing horses. My wife has two horses, so 9.5 acres is an awful lot of land for them to use. I've managed to secure some for my own use. (It's only fair, I'm paying for half of it! :ROFLMAO:)

I'm planning to put it to use in multiple ways:
  • I'm going to plant an orchard of fruit and nut producing trees.
  • I'm going to create a herb garden.
  • I'm going to create a wild-flower meadow.
  • I'm going to create a space for keeping honey bees.
I'm hoping that the above all compliment each other, but more importantly I'm hoping it compliments the bees.

My wife is keen on conservation too, and she loves honey, so she's all for it.

I'm currently reading the 'BBKA Guide to Beekeeping' and doing research on the internet. I'm a complete novice, so I'm conscious of avoiding bad advice and bad practice, so aside from the book I'm reading and this forum, which looks fantastic, I'd be very grateful for recommendations for other online resources I can use, such as well-regarded YouTube channels.

Thanks and all the best.

BB

Last edited:
Beautiful photos, BoothBees, welcome to the forum.
You will find all you ever need here, I'm looking forward to some macro photos within the brood nest ;)

"Bad advice and bad practice"and "BBKA Guide" in the same paragraph!
Almost Freudian;)
Stick to one source as its illegal for beekeepers to agree and the last thing you need is gang warfare when you just want a yes or no.

A wildlife pond would be good on that to do list
We are currently constructing our third and its incredibly rewarding once nature has picked up the baton

A wildlife pond would be good on that to do list
That's a great idea!

I'll have to research creating a pond. I have a feeling my wife my not agree though, as water means flies, and horses suffer from flies.
Almost Freudian;)
Did I just walk into dodgy territory? :LOL:

Hello and welcome. Enjoy the forum!

I would search out your local association/s - at this time of year they may be having Winter talks about various topics. Also a good opportunity to meet other local beeks. I would personally listen to everyone - yes you will have a variety of responses but you’ll be able to put into practice what you find works for you.

Welcome BB,

As suggested, join you local beekeepers association, they normally run a course in early spring which is useful to understand the basics. An apairy visit would also be useful so you see and feel the bees. They might also help with a mentor.
More recommended reading is the haynes bee manual. It will give another view on how to do it.
A good web site is stewart Spinks, from norfolk honey (he also sellls nuc's)

I hope all goes well for you, as you start this hobby

Pete
( about to start 3rd year of bee keeping)

I would search out your local association/s - at this time of year they may be having Winter talks about various topics. Also a good opportunity to meet other local beeks. I would personally listen to everyone - yes you will have a variety of responses but you’ll be able to put into practice what you find works for you.
:iagree:

sounds about right
De Bruyn's book is a good one to read, as is Ted Hooper 'Guide to Bees and Honey' but both may be a bit daunting for a complete beginner. Maybe try the Hayne's manual of beekeeping

Best of luck and congratulations on the land.

With planting, trees once mature are a very good way of boosting the nectar per unit area as they allow use of space vertically. Look at flowering season and plant several species to maximise the duration of pollen ad nectar production across the beekeeping season. Obviously avoid certain species such as sycamore if horses are about.

Please don't let the horses trash the ground. So much horse keeping involves overgrazing and poor land management practices.

I love your photos! I’d be so proud of them if they were mine.
Thank you! Macro photography is one of my favourite ways to shoot and the bees make fantastic subjects.
Look at flowering season and plant several species to maximise the duration of pollen ad nectar production across the beekeeping season.
That's a great idea - I hadn't considered that. Thanks!
Please don't let the horses trash the ground. So much horse keeping involves overgrazing and poor land management practices.
We've got plans for regular rotation, so it should hopefully be quite manageable. (We've learned the hard way that 1 acre per horse is nowhere near enough.)

A good web site is stewart Spinks, from norfolk honey (he also sellls nuc's)
Thanks for this recommendation. I Googled him and found his YouTube channel. I've been watching him for hours now. Even my wife has got into it!

He looks like a fountain of knowledge.

Hi,

I thought I'd make an introduction, though there's not much to say as I'm completely new to this hobby.

I don't currently have a hive and I've never kept bees. I've recently taken an interest in the hobby having seen a small apiary in a park that's local to me. I've always had a fondness for bees being a fan of macro photography and keen on conservation. I've decided I'd like to be more active in creating a space for bees.

Here are a few shots I've taken of various bees (not all honey bees of course):

View attachment 34513

View attachment 34515

View attachment 34516

I'm in the process of buying 9.5 acres of land in Nottinghamshire. The land is being purchased primarily for the purpose of grazing horses. My wife has two horses, so 9.5 acres is an awful lot of land for them to use. I've managed to secure some for my own use. (It's only fair, I'm paying for half of it! :ROFLMAO:)

I'm planning to put it to use in multiple ways:
  • I'm going to plant an orchard of fruit and nut producing trees.
  • I'm going to create a herb garden.
  • I'm going to create a wild-flower meadow.
  • I'm going to create a space for keeping honey bees.
I'm hoping that the above all compliment each other, but more importantly I'm hoping it compliments the bees.

My wife is keen on conservation too, and she loves honey, so she's all for it.

I'm currently reading the 'BBKA Guide to Beekeeping' and doing research on the internet. I'm a complete novice, so I'm conscious of avoiding bad advice and bad practice, so aside from the book I'm reading and this forum, which looks fantastic, I'd be very grateful for recommendations for other online resources I can use, such as well-regarded YouTube channels.

Thanks and all the best.

Looks like you are on the right track.
Find your local beekeepers club and do a course.
You will meet lots of (fairly local) people of varying levels of experience.
Nice pics and good luck.

Thank you! Macro photography is one of my favourite ways to shoot and the bees make fantastic subjects.

That's a great idea - I hadn't considered that. Thanks!

We've got plans for regular rotation, so it should hopefully be quite manageable. (We've learned the hard way that 1 acre per horse is nowhere near enough.)
Don't know if you are a horse keeper or have aspirations to become one but an excess of rich, well nourished grass can be a problem in itself if EMS or laminitis come to call. Just saying.

Latest posts

Back