It's All New To Me .... PeteYork

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteYork

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello to everyone,

Having been thinking about it for quite a few years, I took the plunge and have enrolled with my local Association (York) for their beginners' course: I've been (re-)reading my Haynes Bee Manual (after about 5 years !) and reading the Forum Activity, but am still quite confused about some(many) of the terms used. Hopefully the course will answer most if not all of my concerns / questions. - I'm tempted to make a list of things I'm not clear about, but might just wait until the course starts at the end of this month. E.G. The variety of equipment available seems mind-boggling: for example what's the difference between a bee suit at £20.00 and one at £130?

I'm looking to be a hobby beekeeper as a means of keeping me out of mischief having something to do, but a little anxious about how much lifting will be involved as I have a painful back as well as arthritis in my hips and knee... Hopefully it won't be too much to bear!

In any case I'm looking forward to meeting others who are local to me and keen to enjoy whole thing.

To finish, wanted to say 'HELLO' to everyone: I feel I've already got to know a number of members from reading messages on the Daily Forum: everyone seems genuinely keen to help as much as they are able.

PeteYork

This will help:

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/glossary.27210/
Welcome to the forum - there will always be someone around to offer advice .. don't be afraid to ask. The Beginners section is the safest place to post as we are obliged to play nicely in there.

The difference between a £20 and £130 bee suit ? Quality is the main difference - a cheap one may be fine for occasional forays into the bees but if you go too cheap the bees may find a way in and your confidence will suffer. Having said that - you don't need to spend £130 on a full suit - I work my bees in just a jacket and my jeans and wellie boots are more than sufficient protection against the gentle pussycats I keep, If you feel more confident in a full suit there are some excellent mid priced suits that will see you right for a few years .. and if you progress can be relegated to second suit or visitors attire and you can spend some of the honey money on a better one. The things that tend to go quickly on really cheap suits tend to be veils and zips ... they are replaceable but it will probably cost more than the suit is worth. Don't bother with beekeeping gloves - a pair of Marigolds with a disposable nitrile on top will be fine. Make you list of things you think you will need and then watch out fot the sales ... they are all coming up and there will be bargains.

The actual hives and frames are the most expensive bits ... if you are at all handy you can cut costs by making your own stands, floors and roofs. If you have back problems and don't like lifing have a look at Long hives ... No heavy boxes to lift and you can set them at the height that will avoid beekeeper's back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99514363@N06/albums/72157634865981506

Last edited:
Hello to everyone,

Having been thinking about it for quite a few years, I took the plunge and have enrolled with my local Association (York) for their beginners' course: I've been (re-)reading my Haynes Bee Manual (after about 5 years !) and reading the Forum Activity, but am still quite confused about some(many) of the terms used. Hopefully the course will answer most if not all of my concerns / questions. - I'm tempted to make a list of things I'm not clear about, but might just wait until the course starts at the end of this month. E.G. The variety of equipment available seems mind-boggling: for example what's the difference between a bee suit at £20.00 and one at £130?

I'm looking to be a hobby beekeeper as a means of keeping me out of mischief having something to do, but a little anxious about how much lifting will be involved as I have a painful back as well as arthritis in my hips and knee... Hopefully it won't be too much to bear!

In any case I'm looking forward to meeting others who are local to me and keen to enjoy whole thing.

To finish, wanted to say 'HELLO' to everyone: I feel I've already got to know a number of members from reading messages on the Daily Forum: everyone seems genuinely keen to help as much as they are able.

PeteYork
Hello from me too. (The beesuit difference is £110 and multiple stings)

Hello to everyone,

PeteYork
i would not buy a suit .wait for your course.then you can see and try what suits you better round vail.fencing type.i find the fencing type gets me
more stings to the face...not had one sting to the face last year with round one.i only use the smock type ..welcome good look..

Hello to everyone,

PeteYork
I'm sure you will enjoy your foray into the fun and games of bees who don't read human beekeeping books. You have the added benefit of being relatively close to one of the best sources of bee equipment in the UK. Namely ABELO located in the old station yard at Dunnington just off the A1079. The Abelo 11 frame polyhive with deep roof option is my favourite and is fully dimensionally compatible with the standard National hives in either wood or poly so you can safely mix and match poly with wood. I have a Lyson round veil bee jacket from there which I have had for several years without trauma. Get your theory course over and move onto practical beekeeping then keep us regaled with stories of your adventures, hopefully all successes.

Thanks to everyone for your welcome and advices: I'm enrolled for the York and District Beekeeping Course and have signed up for their starter package of hive, bees etc - the course involves a good few weeks of theory then becomes much more practically oriented - including several sessions looking after the starter bees at a local apiary before bringing them home... As to being close to ABELO at Dunnington, I actually paid them a visit about four weeks ago and they struck me as being very helpful, advising they supplied the hives, bees etc to those on the course at a discounted rate. I was pretty much gobsmacked/confused at the range of items on display and what they might be used for. I'd thought beekeeping would be a nice, sedate hobby but from what I've read on the forum it's very difficult to stop at just one hive!

confused about some(many) of the terms used
Welcome, Pete.
Dave Cushman's A-Z is the best info. resource.
Haynes is the best beginner book.
As GJ said: Abelo 11-frame is the best poly hive (and local to you).
As Pargyle said: a long hive may suit your back best.

Make decisions after the course, and don't be dissuaded if the trainers don't like a long hive (dinosaurs still roam the beekeeping world) because management of a colony to get it to perform well is far more important than a chosen hive system.

:welcome: :
Go to the first Bee Exhibition of the year 24th February (Google the Beekeeping Show) and see things in the flesh before buying anything. Lots of offers usually.
Many beginners spend money fast and repent at leisure

Go to the blogs page and put Enrico in the filters. Have a read. Meant to be light-hearted but some tips to setting things up.

Last edited:
Hello to everyone,

PeteYork
Hi PeteYork. . .
Welcome to this Forum.
(I've just joined / actually re-joined. I must of been on here Years and Years ago !)
Some time much later. I too have have Lifting/Pain issues. Yes age, but also from an awful RTC And a physical Job taking its toll. . . Retired on Health Grounds.
Re Concerns :
One thing my Career taught me is : there are more ways to do 'one' thing. I guess the appropriate Motto would be "Think Outside the Box" ! 🤭
If you can't lift regular Bee Equipment. Maybe either Buy or 'have' some make you a Hive called a "Horizontal Hive" ! . . .
Bit like a Chest Freezer that you might have in a Garage. You 'Lift' the Lid, choose an Item. And lower the lid down. Easy. (Some far out Re-Cyclers have been known to make H.H's out of Dead Chest Freezers !!!) Slap some Interior Wood on that Foil Foam Wall. Ensure their is front to back 'space' to accommodate Honey Comb Frames resting on Ledges. Provide an under set of (Inner Covering) say of individual Boards that will encapsulate the Colony. So they are Snug inside, while no Access or Beekeeping is happening. And then Wood work a full exterior Covering and maybe add a Chain to the Lid so it doesn't 'Flip' back in the Wind (!) And Hey Presto. . .You have a Horizontal Hive. Wow that easy !?!

I Confess :
My Langstroth H.H. Yes : only uses a Freezer Lid (Metal Sheeting.)
And was Commissioned by me from a now Retired Beek / DIY Botcher who could do all sorts !
He used Scaffold Boards, Marine Ply, tons of Nails hammered here there and everywhere (!) Some old Sheep Fleece to Insulate the Wall Cavity Space. Even added "Glass" Coasters as Viewing Port Holes to each inner Board where a 2" Hole was Drilled thru. ! (Take a peek without needing a Bee Suit. Are they ??? . . Yes. . . They are Alive !

So you can see. . . Beekeeping can be done by poor Backs, those who can't do regular Hives, like those who are not 'Strong' or can't deal with a huge Stacked Hive.
Even Wheelchair users can be Bee "Keepers." 👍
If not a H H. What about Warre Hives (×1 Sq Foot Boxes, x4 Boxes Tall, with a Pitched Roof.) If that's to much. . .
Their is a crazy Beek called "Sam Comfort" aka Comfort Hives. Who uses a Small Box or two and BBQ Skewers instead of Frames. OK he is based, I think in California. So you may need to up the Insulation for a Cold Freezing UK Winter.
But remember a Poly Nuc, off a Bee Supplier Site, is hardly bigger than the capacity of a SC's Hive.

I hope you enjoy your 'Newbie Beek Course, when it comes. In the meantime. Ask on this Forum. . . We all started out as "Newbies" once !
And maybe if nothing is on Telly Binge Watch Bee Youtube Videos.
If its UK/EU/USA/NZ/orOZ. They are all doing "Bees." OK the location and timing of 'Input' might change from Season to Season, Country to Country, but its mainly 'similar stuff' that Beeks do to "keep" Bees. Or do Bees 'keep' us ?
Final note.
Pain is painful. For sure. And a Bee Sting hurts too. But I've found by returning to Beekeeping after a 30yr gap. . . Being busy with watching my Bees. Even them coming and going on the Landing Board (Entrance to the Hive) takes my Mind of my own 'Pain'. I still get a Sting now and again. Initially as a new Beekeeper it's 'horrible,' but unless your 'Hyper-Allergic,' Stings sometimes takes your mind of your own 'Joint' Pain. Call it 'stupid' a form of Mindfulness. A pass time, whatever. . . Beekeeping is really a great thing !
Get a decent Suit in a SALE now !
(Jan is the most un "Bee buying Month" for Bee Stores : Grab a better one at a Cheaper price.

Know you will need to take an Antihistamine to sooth a Sting (Any over the Counter Hayfever Med will do.) Don your Wellies, Marigolds, and I highly recommend those Physio Velcro Wrist Supports ! One they help your Joints, Two. They stop Bees getting up your Bee Suit Sleeves. (I hate the Gaunlets with attached Thick Leather Gloves. (Bee Bashers for sure. SplatSting !)
Anyway. . . this has turned into a Thesis !
Have a Read, Watch a Video, ask Questions again, again and again.
And get a Hive and Bees.
And enjoy. . . P.M if you want. . 😎

Latest posts

Back