Stepping into beekeeping life.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzing44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello everyone 😊

Thanks Admin for warm welcome and allowing me to join. I'm from Norwich, im looking to keep bee's in the near future, while I wait Im learning as much I can about bee keeping and bee's. mainly resources from YouTube and now doing a online bee keeping course.

I'm quite lucky that I know several farmers that one will hopefully be ok for me to set up a apiary on there land as my back garden way too small and not practical.

I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you all and hopefully learn some bee keeping skills.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome👍
Is the Wig and Pistle still so named, or in these woke times has it been changed?

Oh...and could you put your location in your profile, please.
It helps folk who are answering any questions to know where you are

Welcome to the best beekeeping forum on the planet and to a successful start in the craft of beekeeping - no matter what research you have done you will find it a steep learning curve and your local beekeeping association may provide you with a mentor and some local knowledge ... the forum will be able to fill in all sorts of gaps in your knowledge so feel free to ask... there' s no such thing as a silly question, it's just one you don't know the answer to. Trust me - we've all been there at the start of our beekeeping journey !

Hi PargyIe, I am planning on going to our local bee keeping association soon and try some hands on approach. Id like to get a little know how and a headstart before attending.

Last edited:
Past of wake

Something I'm quite keen to lean is about diseases and pests and how to treat them Like afb and efb thanks for that 👍
You can't treat AFB in the UK - the colony has to be destroyed and usually the kit burnt. EFB is pretty much the same although some Bee Inspectos may allow a shook swarm and new frames and kit. Pests are mainly Varroa and that will/should be your first bit of learning ... lots about varroa and its treatment on here if you use the search function.

Don't worry unduly about AFB/EFB they are notiifiable diseases and the Bee Inspector will be your guide to dealing with them- they are fairly rare in most places. You do need to know how to recognise the symptoms though...

Must be awful knowing you have AFB/EFB and has me concerned when starting out. Varrora seems to be the most common followed by Chalkbrood. Still reading up on these diseases ect.. Want to be fully prepared and know what I'm looking out for.

Thanks everyone!
[/QUOTE]
Hi PargyIe, I am planning on going to our local bee keeping association soon and try some hands on approach. Id like to get a little know how and a headstart before attending.
Hi Buzzing44 and welcome. I don't know if you have chosen a local bee club yet, but the Norwich and District Beekeeping Assoc Bee Hives | The Norwich and District Beekeepers Association | Norwich is hoping to start practical sessions for its members in a new apiary at the UEA, starting in May. Stewart Spinks, a prolific beginners' beekeeping Youtube poster, is our chairperson, so double bonus.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Buzzing44 and welcome. I don't know if you have chosen a local bee club yet, but the Norwich and District Beekeeping Assoc Bee Hives | The Norwich and District Beekeepers Association | Norwich is hoping to start practical sessions for its members in a new apiary at the UEA, starting in May. Stewart Spinks, a prolific beginners' beekeeping Youtube poster, is our chairperson, so double bonus.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Beegarde,
I've been watching Stewart on youtube and Lawrence from Black Mountain Honey. Been learning alot from there channels and getting a overall of what beekeeping about. But h hands on approach where you really learn.

I am thinking about going to one of the NBKA meetings get a feel of it or maybe consider introducing a local beekeeper to a farm, so they can set up a apiary and in exchange I'd get some hands on experience. Something I'd need to discuss with the farmer first. I don't have a great deal of time so maybe sharing a apiary might be a better option.

know what I'm looking out for
Have you explored a hive full of bees?

The theory of bees is very attractive but the reality is more complex and is not everyone's cup of tea. Best find out whether you like it before spending money on courses and equipment.

Have you explored a hive full of bees?

The theory of bees is very attractive but the reality is more complex and is not everyone's cup of tea. Best find out whether you like it before spending money on courses and equipment.

Thanks Ericbeaumont, One of my favourite insects is bee's not just honey bee"s and I enjoy eating honey that doesn't mean I will enjoy keeping bee's even though the idea is tantalising. But even though if it doesn't turn out, I'd like the idea I've given a place for bee's or giving a chance for someone to keep bee's on some land.

Latest posts

Back