Orchard planting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be worth looking into the comparative costs of a borehole on your land? No idea of the costs or feasibility of it, might be worth a look if the costs of having pipes layed gets a bit much

Would it be worth looking into the comparative costs of a borehole on your land? No idea of the costs or feasibility of it, might be worth a look if the costs of having pipes layed gets a bit much
Just get @pargyle to knock you up a pair of dowsing rods and find your own well

That could be worth a try!

It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought I'd give an update.

We've completed on our land, so actually it's ours now after what feels like an eternity. We've had 1100m of fencing installed, an electricity box installed ready for power to the site and a water connection prepared, so that'll be going in around May (a road closure is needed so we have to give 12 weeks notice...).

We've also started planting! This is the exciting bit. :D

So far we've planted 420 saplings to form hedgerows, all of which will support pollinators of all kinds (as well as other wildlife). We've got a good mixture of Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Dog Rose, Rowan, Goat Willow, Hazel and Crab Apple. We've got another 420 on order for the second phase and anticipate a third phase will be needed. That means anywhere between 840 and 1260 saplings will have been planted by the time we're finished.

I also ordered my first trees for the orchard. I've gone for:
  • 2 Adams Pearmain Apple
  • 2 Braeburn Apple
  • 2 Ellisons Orange Apple
  • 2 Ashmeads Kernel Apple
  • 2 Egremont Russet Apple
  • 2 Red Windsor Apple
  • 2 Worcester Pearmain Apple
  • 2 Bramley Apple
  • 2 Beth Pear
  • 2 Beurre Hardy Pear
  • 2 Concorde Pear
22 trees to get me started in a space carved out for approximately 200 trees. I'm aiming to expand it next winter with more pear, as well as cherry and plum trees. I hope to then expand the orchard by learning to graft onto different rootstock.

I've also got my four hives ready to take my bees in April/May. They'll be in the orchard too.

I hope to then expand the orchard by learning to graft onto different rootstock.
It's worth getting a few rootstock and propogating them (lots of online demos) then you become fairly self sufficient - and always have a stock ready when that odd offer of a new variety comes along.

I'd also recommend that you have Blaisdon Red on your plum list, a superb jam plum that's also a decent enough eater.

Hi….. what area are you in.
Nottinghamshire.

It's worth getting a few rootstock and propogating them (lots of online demos) then you become fairly self sufficient - and always have a stock ready when that odd offer of a new variety comes along.
Great idea. I'll definitely look into that. I'd love to be able to graft my own trees regularly.

It is interesting to me how we like such different types of fruits. For instance we over here dislike red, pink plums. We are all into dark blue plums. Except few local old varieties with yellow skin which we use mostly for schnapps and very little for marmelade/jam. Habits..
About grafting I found it easy to graft pears, apples and cherries.
Had some bad results with plums in first, until I found that better results are with cleft grafting.

It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought I'd give an update.

We've completed on our land, so actually it's ours now after what feels like an eternity. We've had 1100m of fencing installed, an electricity box installed ready for power to the site and a water connection prepared, so that'll be going in around May (a road closure is needed so we have to give 12 weeks notice...).

We've also started planting! This is the exciting bit. :D

So far we've planted 420 saplings to form hedgerows, all of which will support pollinators of all kinds (as well as other wildlife). We've got a good mixture of Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Dog Rose, Rowan, Goat Willow, Hazel and Crab Apple. We've got another 420 on order for the second phase and anticipate a third phase will be needed. That means anywhere between 840 and 1260 saplings will have been planted by the time we're finished.

I also ordered my first trees for the orchard. I've gone for:
  • 2 Adams Pearmain Apple
  • 2 Braeburn Apple
  • 2 Ellisons Orange Apple
  • 2 Ashmeads Kernel Apple
  • 2 Egremont Russet Apple
  • 2 Red Windsor Apple
  • 2 Worcester Pearmain Apple
  • 2 Bramley Apple
  • 2 Beth Pear
  • 2 Beurre Hardy Pear
  • 2 Concorde Pear
22 trees to get me started in a space carved out for approximately 200 trees. I'm aiming to expand it next winter with more pear, as well as cherry and plum trees. I hope to then expand the orchard by learning to graft onto different rootstock.

I've also got my four hives ready to take my bees in April/May. They'll be in the orchard too.
Have you check for chill requires for your area, some trees will struggle to produce in coming years of climate warming What Are 'Chill Hours' And Why Do They Matter? | Orchard Notes

So we're done with the hedge planting. We've planted 840 saplings so far, to create hedging that will be good for wildlife, good for my bees, and provide good shelter from the prevailing winds. We've planted:
  • 180 Hawthorn
  • 120 Blackthorn
  • 120 Rowan
  • 120 Hazel
  • 120 Goat Willow
  • 120 Crab Apple
  • 60 Dog Rose
We've decided to plant some additional trees for aesthetic reasons, but also to provide additional food and shelter. We're planting a single Sweet Chestnut tree, because we really like them, two Alder trees and thirty Juniper trees.

Excluding trees for the orchard, that'll take us to 873 trees planted.

I then have my 24 orchard trees on the way as well

There's a lot of work ahead, but I'm looking really forward to it.

And we're done!

The final count...
  • 180 Hawthorn
  • 120 Blackthorn
  • 120 Rowan
  • 120 Hazel
  • 120 Goat Willow
  • 120 Crab Apple
  • 60 Dog Rose
  • 30 Juniper
  • 2 Alder
  • 1 Sweet Chestnut
  • 2 Apple - Adams Permian
  • 2 Apple - Braeburn
  • 2 Apple - Ellisons Orange
  • 2 Apple - Ashmeads Kernel
  • 2 Apple - Egremont Russet
  • 2 Apple - Red Windsor
  • 2 Apple - Worcester Pearmain
  • 2 Apple - Bramley
  • 2 Apple - Fiesta
  • 2 Pear - Beth
  • 2 Pear - Beurre Hardy
  • 2 Pear - Concorde
897 trees planted.

I'm going to rest for a few weeks before I get my bees, because then I'm sure there'll be no rest. 😅

Try and get some cherry plum into your hedgerow. It flowers earlier than blackthorn and also gives small edible fruits although the thorns are pretty vicious

Try and get some cherry plum into your hedgerow. It flowers earlier than blackthorn and also gives small edible fruits although the thorns are pretty vicious
I'll check it out, thanks! Though if I mention more planting, my wife may divorce me... 😆

Latest posts

Back