Testing for insectiy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angularity

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am suspicious that a colony has been intentionally killed. It was one of two in a garden; she loves having bees on her flowers, he doesn’t seem to care for them. We lost one colony in the summer because ‘someone’ closed it down and didn’t open it up again for a few days.

We were due to move the remaining one this week, after checking them three weeks ago. When we got there all the bees were dead. They were evenly spread across the OMF. Loads of stores (super so heavy my wife couldn’t lift it).

My suspicion is that he got irritated and gave it a can of Raid. Do you know of anyone who can test for insecticide residues? What else should I look for?

I am suspicious that a colony has been intentionally killed. It was one of two in a garden; she loves having bees on her flowers, he doesn’t seem to care for them. We lost one colony in the summer because ‘someone’ closed it down and didn’t open it up again for a few days.

We were due to move the remaining one this week, after checking them three weeks ago. When we got there all the bees were dead. They were evenly spread across the OMF. Loads of stores (super so heavy my wife couldn’t lift it).

My suspicion is that he got irritated and gave it a can of Raid. Do you know of anyone who can test for insecticide residues? What else should I look for?
Or they could have died from varroa infestation if you didn't treat or isolation starvation....or failing queen!!

It's not worth the effort ... whatever you found out - even if you could find out ... what are you going to do about it ? Move the hive and move on ... this is not a situation where there are any winners regardless of your suspicions.

You could confine a few bees or flies in close contact with the frame nearest the entrance - if it does a typical insecticide dying act you will be pretty sure.
As above though - what would you do?
You may not want to use the equipment, or at least wash it multiple times.

Latest posts

Back