Fruugo - cheap kit for the frugal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Out of curiosity, I was just checking up the current price of a Varrox wand the other day, Googled it (£160.00 now!😳) and I stumbled across a site called Frugo - they had 'branded' Varrox wands there for less than £30.00 a pop including postage! (photo was an identical photo to the ones the big firms sell) I quickly smoked they were Chinese produced lookalikee items (the seller - Guangzhou Diangu Maoyi Youxian Gongsi gave me a hint), I was in a reckless mood that evening and just out of curiosity I thought I'd have a punt, the morning after I had an email telling that it was packed and despatched on the next slow boat out, and this morning, two weeks later, it arrived. First impressions are, it can hold it's ground against the genuine ones, build quality is ever so slightly more agricultural and the wand is a little shorter than the genuine model. but the whole thing looks a lot more robust than the economy alternatives on offer in this country, although the 'foot' plate was loose and needed to be crimped into place the cable is also robust but could be a bit longer (it's a little shorter than six feet) and I had to split it a bit as the crocodile clips were only two inches apart. tested, it works, what more does one want?
I haven't looked to see if there is anything elso of interest on there.fb.jpgfb2.jpgfb3.jpg

Annoying isn't it...clearly a knock off made in China.. . Probably in the same factory as the genuine article. I'm still pondering over the cheapo sublimox I found on ali-baba...£179 delivered and looks identical even down to the logo on the product. I dislike filling Chinese coffers but with the savings available and the fact that they probably make the originals it's hard to resist...

Annoying isn't it...clearly a knock off made in China.. . Probably in the same factory as the genuine article. I'm still pondering over the cheapo sublimox I found on ali-baba...£179 delivered and looks identical even down to the logo on the product. I dislike filling Chinese coffers but with the savings available and the fact that they probably make the originals it's hard to resist...

Or this one, at less than £75 plus delivery?

James

I’m seriously looking to change from sublimox to the instantvap so if you want a genuine pre loved Sublimox it’s likely to be available after the NHS.

I’m seriously looking to change from sublimox to the instantvap so if you want a genuine pre loved Sublimox it’s likely to be available after the NHS.
I'm pleased with my instant vap, when you get it make sure you get the silicone cap that you fill with water to clean it. I didn't get one so cleaning is a bit if a challenge . I have slightly adapted mine so I can vape through a single round hole in my crown board. Worked a treat yesterday.

I'm another 100% convert to the instavap, I now have two of the machines and our 18 month old sublimox is for sale, its only been used to treat approx 250 colonies last winter.

I'm pleased with my instant vap, when you get it make sure you get the silicone cap that you fill with water to clean it. I didn't get one so cleaning is a bit if a challenge . I have slightly adapted mine so I can vape through a single round hole in my crown board. Worked a treat yesterday.
Have you got pictures by any chance?

Have you got pictures by any chance?
Just set this up for the photos. Usually use poly carbonate boards. I have simply used 15 mm pipe with a right angle bend and a 15-20mm plastic converter on the end. It sits perfectly over the 22 mm holes and the 15 mm pipe fits perfectly over the nut that holds the pipe to the instant vap.
I just slide the hole cover off and put the pipe over the top. The whole lot sits on top of the crown board for the 30 secs it takes..

Attachments

• IMG_20230925_103812615_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230925_103812615_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230925_103754574_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230925_103754574_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230925_103748493_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230925_103748493_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230925_103736540_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230925_103736540_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230925_103718570_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230925_103718570_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230925_103650543.jpg
    IMG_20230925_103650543.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Just set this up for the photos. Usually use poly carbonate boards. I have simply used 15 mm pipe with a right angle bend and a 15-20mm plastic converter on the end. It sits perfectly over the 22 mm holes and the 15 mm pipe fits perfectly over the nut that holds the pipe to the instant vap.
I just slide the hole cover off and put the pipe over the top. The whole lot sits on top of the crown board for the 30 secs it takes..
Do you find any build up/clogging of the pipe with that copper bend being so close to the outlet?

I'd also recommend getting a silicone nozzle I melted a few poly nuc entrances last year before sticking a silicone straw to the end.
Pretty sure I read they now come with one nozzle and a silicone cleaner cup. Also saw the new uploaded video of the silicone cover to help with heat retention between Apiaries and keeping the unit clean.

Do you find any build up/clogging of the pipe with that copper bend being so close to the outlet?
Not yet, used it once on five hives one after the other with no problem but I have used the minimum length of pipe I could get away with. It does come out of the machine at quite high pressure

I'd also recommend getting a silicone nozzle I melted a few poly nuc entrances last year before sticking a silicone straw to the end.
Pretty sure I read they now come with one nozzle and a silicone cleaner cup. Also saw the new uploaded video of the silicone cover to help with heat retention between Apiaries and keeping the unit clean.
They don't actually come with them. They are extras. Mine didn't even come with any instructions!

Latest posts

Back