Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is an old Hippy , she ain't got that long !
These let alone beekeepers and presumably, if she felt she needed a mentor, lacking any experience or knowledge of keeping bees are what gives being treatment free a bad name ...How can you countenance losing your bees every year and not question whether what you are doing is somehow not working. I'm 12 years into being TF and if I was losing colonies I would be reaching for the OA in a heartbeat ...

😂😂 amazing though how quickly we learn to ignore the glazed look in our victims’ eyes if they aren’t fleet of foot.
Oh that seems so familiar! 🤣

I was just looking for the Two Ronnies sketch about a conversation between a beekeeper and a beefeater but I could find it to post 😔

These let alone beekeepers and presumably, if she felt she needed a mentor, lacking any experience or knowledge of keeping bees are what gives being treatment free a bad name ...How can you countenance losing your bees every year and not question whether what you are doing is somehow not working. I'm 12 years into being TF and if I was losing colonies I would be reaching for the OA in a heartbeat ...
Isn’t that the definition of an idiot? Someone who keeps doing the same thing expecting different results even when the outcome is the same each time!

Isn’t that the definition of an idiot? Someone who keeps doing the same thing expecting different results even when the outcome is the same each time!
We see it too often in beekeeping I'm afraid - and it's not just people who are trying to be treatment free ... I see a lot of things done 'because we've always done it that way' with little thought about why they are doing it and less thought about the consequences...

Just received “Bees At The Bottom Of The Garden”, am off sick from work <feeble cough> so am going to snuggle with the dog and spend the day reading 😄

Just received “Bees At The Bottom Of The Garden”, am off sick from work <feeble cough> so am going to snuggle with the dog and spend the day reading 😄
I was given 'The Beekeeper of Allepo' but to be honest I did not enjoy it.

I would imagine every prospective mentor came up against this solid wall of blind dogma and just walked away..........like I did.

depends whether you want to tie yourself to the Langstroth format.
as most hobbyists in this country (and England) seem to stick with Nationals you will find that as a begginer you may be better going along the same route until you find your feet.
Anyway, there are better bargains to be had on 'second quality' hives built from sustainable British grown timber sold by the likes of Maisemores and Thornes during their many sales, rather than stuff shipped here from halfway around the world.

Before committing to a format, i'd advise checking prices and availability comparing National with Langstroth. Not just the boxes but also the frames - I think langstroth are more expensive. Either way, if you get your bees other than from a swarm you'll need to specify what format frames you want.

And be aware that B&Q are not selling you that hive, and so you should check what guarantee and refund/replacement policy are going to be available to you. Also, the one in the picture has gaps in the finger/box joints so I'd be concerned about assembly quality.

However, that mason bee hotel looks decent

Latest posts

Back