Hello From County Durham

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JazzJPH

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in bees for close to a year now and became even more interested when I read that they are endangered here in the UK. I don't have any beekeeping equipment as of yet and my garden isn't best suited for it. I would likely have to rent an allotment or something.

I have enrolled on DBKA's beekeeping course in May, which I'm looking forward to. In the meantime I've been reading up on beekeeping - looking at typical beekeeper schedules, pest treatments, hive configurations etc.
I have also been watching many YouTube videos on beekeeping - most of which are based in America so I'm trying not to get confused with pests they may have that we don't (such as hive beetles if I remember correctly?).

For the moment my wife and I are just doing little bits to help bees in general out. She's a keen gardener and loves flowers so I'll be making her some flower boxes to fill. We also recently bought a solitary bee house - let's help those guys out too haha!!

Well that's me. I'm based south of Durham city so if any beekeepers in the area are on here I'd love to hear from you!

Jazz

Hi and Welcome! I keep my bees on my allotment as my garden isn't ideal - although I have to confess that as the obession bites deeper, I'm starting to think that one or two nucs in the back garden wouldn't be a problem...surely....!

Glad you're booked on a course - there's plenty of reading to keep you occupied in the meantime!

Have a drive around your local farms and ask about out apiary sites, you will be surprised by the response, some will do all they can to help you.

Howdy Jazz not in Durham as such but not far away i have bees in Hartlepool but my main site is 10 minutes from Alnwick town centre..i have sourced a spot in Wingate for more hives this year but we will see how it goes.. do as Swarm says and politely ask some farmers...i know some might be a bit touchy in your area through poaching issues but you will find a good one eventually..

Hi and Welcome! I keep my bees on my allotment as my garden isn't ideal - although I have to confess that as the obession bites deeper, I'm starting to think that one or two nucs in the back garden wouldn't be a problem...surely....!

Where i have my garden Nuc is not ideal and the only reason it is there is through wasp issues at my original spot..if you have a big garden with plenty of space between neighbours coupled with nice bees you might be ok...but where my garden nuc is could be a problem when they start expanding...even though they are gentle bees i can not risk leaving them where they are once they need a full size hive.

Hi everyone and thanks for the warm welcome to the forums.

There are a fair few farms in my area so that sounds like good advice thanks, I may just give that a go!

When is the best month to start beekeeping? If there is one.. The course is in May but it would be cool if I could start sooner.

Are there location-specific forums so we can see who is local and what not? I know there's a map on Urban Bees but the two people I contacted weren't there anymore so it mustn't be up to date.

It would be cool to find out where to get equipment and bees locally but I'm guessing that the DBKA will know all this?

Jazz

Hi Jazz and welcome.

I know you're keen to get on, but don't go getting bees or lashing out money until you have at least stood in front of an open hive and handled a frame or two. (you might have done this already of course) SOme people walk away at this point. Its a long term pastime and worth doing the foundations properly. Go on your course and come back here for supplementary info and alternative views.
May/June is a good time to buy nucleus colonies - some can be available earlier but they tend to be at a premium price. Swarms can also be had, you'll learn about that on your course but for a beginner I would recommend getting a nucleus of nice bees from a recommended source.

Have fun!

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in bees for close to a year now and became even more interested when I read that they are endangered here in the UK. I don't have any beekeeping equipment as of yet and my garden isn't best suited for it. I would likely have to rent an allotment or something

Jazz,
If you fancy a place to keep your bees close to you I would put it on a local Facebook page.
I was recently looking for a new site for a few of hives in a town where a shop had expressed the desire for a supply of VERY local honey (it's a health food shop and they like to pay well for that sort of thing in Surrey!)
Within 30 mins of asking if anyone had the corner of a field, edge of a wood or end of garden to host some hives I had 5 offers, within 2 days I had over 20! I picked a site 1.2 miles from the shop and 1 mile from another potential customer. I was amazed how many enthusiastic people wanted to have hives in their gardens.
If you do this take time to evaluate them for forage and access before choosing.
N

Last edited:
Hi guys and thank you for the tips.

I see your point Curley - I'll take it slow and read up, watch videos and attend that course first

And thank you Neil for the pointers on hive locations. I would never have thought of that, I will give that a go and see who is up for it.

Slowly but surely I'll build up my bee knowledge haha!

Thanks again

Jazz

Latest posts

Back