Hello all, I'm a newbie from Greater Manchester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mars404

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I'm a newbie from Greater Manchester. I'm interest to know more about bees just started reading online materials and trying to enrol to nearby BKA beginner course.
I'm planning to get 2 langstroth / national hive, hope that I join you all to be a happy and successful beekeeper in the coming year.
Cheers!

I'm a newbie from Greater Manchester. I'm interest to know more about bees just started reading online materials and trying to enrol to nearby BKA beginner course.
I'm planning to get 2 langstroth / national hive, hope that I join you all to be a happy and successful beekeeper in the coming year.
Cheers!
Hello ,how close to Sedgley park are you ? There are lots of good spots around Manchester and it is teaming with bees

Hello ,how close to Sedgley park are you ? There are lots of good spots around Manchester and it is teaming with bees
Not close I’m 9-10 mile away from there. I don’t know any beekeeper around. Please let me know if you have BKA recommend ;)

When you join, ask at your local BKA the most common hive type used. Probably be Nationals. It will be easier to get your first bees on that format rather than Langstroth. Langstroth are cheaper and easier to DIY, but sizes can vary between suppliers .

Cheers!
Hi and welcome,
FYI Manchester and District Beekeepers Association hold courses, I can vouch for them having been on the theory in October '22 and the practical in June of this year. They're based at the Dower House in Heaton Park, open to visitors on Sunday afternoons, 12 till 4pm this Sunday then thereafter Winter hours 12 till 3pm.

Hi and welcome,
FYI Manchester and District Beekeepers Association hold courses, I can vouch for them having been on the theory in October '22 and the practical in June of this year. They're based at the Dower House in Heaton Park, open to visitors on Sunday afternoons, 12 till 4pm this Sunday then thereafter Winter hours 12 till 3pm.
Thank you Knighty. Do you have your own hive? What type of hive you’re using and where do you keep them?

Thank you Knighty. Do you have your own hive? What type of hive you’re using and where do you keep them?
There are 4 of us on the Apiary with a mix of hives, all are Nationals. I have Abelo 12 frame poly ( not everyone's cup of tea), another has a Maisemore and the other 2 have wooden Nationals. We have 3 nucs to overwinter too. You're welcome to come and have a look at our setup if you're local to us. It's in Droylsden, Ash Road Allotments. We're still learning on the job, making mistakes on the way, but enjoying it immensely. 20230806_111514.jpg

Latest posts

Back