Total Newbie in Northern Ireland!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelmac67

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all,

I came across this amazing forum yesterday and have to say that the interaction and content is top notch!

As per my headline, I'm a total newbie, currently in the 'research/learning' phase of my beekeeping adventure (to ensure a responsible approach to it.)

I'm also reading and watching some 'Beginner' videos on Youtube (especially Black Mountain Honey!) :)

I've reached out to my local association here in NI, The Killinchy Beekeepers, and once they respond I'll be joining up and attending meetings & practical sessions.

I'm also in the process of enrolling in the 'Preliminary Beekeeping' course to acquire some 'formal' training before I proceed into beekeeping proper, in the Spring of 2023.

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes, my primary focus is to get into my local association so that I can do some 'hands on' training at their training apiary under the supervision of experienced beekeepers. :)

Thank you! Yes, my primary focus is to get into my local association so that I can do some 'hands on' training at their training apiary under the supervision of experienced beekeepers. :)
That is the best approach, some pretty dodgy videos on youtube.
Welcome to the forum.

Hi all,

I came across this amazing forum yesterday and have to say that the interaction and content is top notch!
Welcome Michael. This forum is a great resort. Well worth spending a few afternoons looking through our archives.
I hope you enjoy your bees next year.
Ask your questions in the beginners section.

Many thanks Dani & Steve. Heard back this morning from my local association, so things are heading in the right direction!

Can't wait to get my first hive next year, YES! :)

Last edited:
Hi there Michael, welcome to the forum. Enjoy!

Fantastic news...I have acquired a site for my first apiary! :)

It's a family friend who has extensive land so I'm really chuffed to bits.

Now to decide whether to go for cedar wood National hives, or the newish 12 frame National Poly's from Abelo?!

Oh, and of course my first nuc of bees once the time is right in early Spring 2023!

On the bees, I've no idea if it's 'safe' to bring nucs from the 'mainland' into Northern Ireland, from the point of view of disease?

Advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Fantastic news...I have acquired a site for my first apiary! :)

It's a family friend who has extensive land so I'm really chuffed to bits.

Now to decide whether to go for cedar wood National hives, or the newish 12 frame National Poly's from Abelo?!

Oh, and of course my first nuc of bees once the time is right in early Spring 2023!

On the bees, I've no idea if it's 'safe' to bring nucs from the 'mainland' into Northern Ireland, from the point of view of disease?

Advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
I think your association could probably help with this. Many associations will help new beekeepers get started with their bees or advice on acquiring them, i’d go that route before ordering online. They may well have breeding programmes which they will encourage you to work with similar bees for your area, so worth asking them first.

I think your association could probably help with this. Many associations will help new beekeepers get started with their bees or advice on acquiring them, i’d go that route before ordering online. They may well have breeding programmes which they will encourage you to work with similar bees for your area, so worth asking them first.
I am in Scotland and use all poly, bees do well in them here.

I have been using poly hives for 43 years and still have my origin.als - I was in Aberdeenshire but now in Somerset!! Brought my hives with me but sold the stock before I moved and started again with local bees. I make all my floors , crownboards and roofs but to ensure the correct beespace I buy the broodboxes and supers. Paint the boxes with dark brown smooth masonry paint to keep out the damaging UV. There is a consensus that bees from a local area do better than "imports" as climate can be different even over a relatively small area so that may influence what you do as regards your stocking decision. As regards nucs from the mainland I am not sure, but I did notice that at Belfast (I visit annually) there was a notice about foodstuffs not to bring in and honey was on the list. Go for the poly hives though. Hope this helps.

We are in ni too, near Templepatrick. It’s best here to get the native black bee as they are much better in the rainy conditions (more frugal etc) the NIHBS will have lots of info online.

Hi gar1990, am in Lisburn myself and have joined the Dromore Beekeeper's Association. Did you source your nucs via NIHBS?

Thanks

I have been using poly hives for 43 years and still have my origin.als - I was in Aberdeenshire but now in Somerset!! Brought my hives with me but sold the stock before I moved and started again with local bees. I make all my floors , crownboards and roofs but to ensure the correct beespace I buy the broodboxes and supers. Paint the boxes with dark brown smooth masonry paint to keep out the damaging UV. There is a consensus that bees from a local area do better than "imports" as climate can be different even over a relatively small area so that may influence what you do as regards your stocking decision. As regards nucs from the mainland I am not sure, but I did notice that at Belfast (I visit annually) there was a notice about foodstuffs not to bring in and honey was on the list. Go for the poly hives though. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much Garry!

Hi gar1990, am in Lisburn myself and have joined the Dromore Beekeeper's Association. Did you source your nucs via NIHBS?

Thanks

We got ours from someone my father in law knows in strabane, but we have got queens from jonathan Getty in belfast. There is a list of people who supply on the website, 3 or 4 in County Antrim and down. Dromore association might sell them too or some of the members there will.

Latest posts

Back