Timber

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a dowelling jig which could work.

Would have to get a router to do the rebate.

If you are dowelling lots of slats to make a board a little tip is to clamp together with glue then drill through and dowel in situ as you go but drill at angles which will improve the strength of the board.

My next step is a proper table saw and biscuit jointer to make the timber into planks big enough for boxes as well.

I don't have a table saw but I do have a biscuit jointer that I picked up cheap second hand off eBay last year for another job. I had a bad 2019-20 winter though so unless my area goes swarm crazy in the next few weeks I should be ok for brood boxes for a year or two but I'd never thought of biscuiting pallet timber into bigger planks.... until now ;-)

I see Hyde hives have stopped cedar hive orders...
probably blown their planned stock - apparently they've been inundated with orders, ten times more (if I recall) than they planned

We are hoping to build a new timber framed house. We had a quote just before we submitted our planning application in February (still waiting on that). I had an email from the construction company last week regarding the increased prices. They have now re-quoted - £31,000 more than in January. Over 21% extra. We'll probably have to wait and hope it settles down, but could be years.

Last edited:
I bought 3 sheets of plywood last week. The price was almost 50% more than last year.
The price of plywood here is the same as it was last year. It hasn't gone up at all from what I can see, so I presume it is just a Europe thing. Mind you, we haven't had a covid case here in Tas for over a year, so it's business as usual really ...apart from tourism being down.

A local merchant's I use is a small family run business but vey good with an excellent delivery service. I have noticed over the last few months prices are changing (upwards) and less is being shown as in stock, this does change though as new stock is replenished but it is very changeable.

BBC today mentions shortage of supplies due to increase of diy and small projects over lockdown, it mentioned that some larger projects may be delayed or postponed due to supply.
Plaster products, cement and wood supply is short and I notice some PIR products and Knauf Earthwool is a bit up and down in availability, hopefully I can get on with my project of a 5m x 3m posh out building/garden room. Swimbo wants somewhere to put her fitness stuff and I want a corner for for my extraction.

Speaking as someone with around 150 mature western red cedar on my property I won't be rushing to process the timber any time soon.

Latest posts

Back