Timber

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karol

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
For those of you who dabble in hive diy, it might be an idea to stock up on timber. Considerable shortages expected as construction industry ramps up post lockdowns at the same time that supplies from Europe hampered and demand as a construction material increased due to green carbon capture credentials.

The local timber yard already has gaps. I don't think panic buying and stockpiling will help ease the shortage.

For those of you who dabble in hive diy, it might be an idea to stock up on timber. Considerable shortages expected as construction industry ramps up post lockdowns at the same time that supplies from Europe hampered and demand as a construction material increased due to green carbon capture credentials.
Just seen a post from a local timber importer offering a thousand pounds reward for apprehension of the thieves and recovery of stolen timber from their site. Will timber be the next high value target?

I recently read a report that the increase in the price of timber, in particular plywood, has added an average of 35000 dollars to house building costs.

Hive prices set to rocket I would guess?
I'm glad I got that stock of cedar in last year!

I've heard of story's of fencing company's ( probably cow boys) pinching new fence panels that have been installed.
Gravel boards are on a waiting list 8 weeks or so in this area.
At least the bees are OK.

Good job. The pile of them at the tip here is alarming. All that useful wood.
Yeah we have a pile at work that I help myself to. Can stack 5 on the roof rack if I'm really pushing it.

I use an old ball joint separator to split them up and usually salvage enough to make floors, crownboards and roofs for at least five hives.

The only thing I buy now are the packs of five brood boxes from bee equipment.

Yeah we have a pile at work that I help myself to. Can stack 5 on the roof rack if I'm really pushing it.

I use an old ball joint separator to split them up and usually salvage enough to make floors, crownboards and roofs for at least five hives.

The only thing I buy now are the packs of five brood boxes from bee equipment.
Ah makes more sense now - was wondering how you made brood boxes out of pallet timber without having (relatively) massive gaps in the sides

My next step is a proper table saw and biscuit jointer to make the timber into planks big enough for boxes as well.
I just put in a dowel every few inches and clamp and glue it. Cheap and cheerful., and the bees don't mind if it's not perfect.

I just put in a dowel every few inches and clamp and glue it. Cheap and cheerful., and the bees don't mind if it's not perfect.

That is what I do. I have jumbo Langs made like that in 2014 and still as new I use PU glue which fills in any imperfections..

My hives are NOT a work of art but a tool of work

I bought 3 sheets of plywood last week. The price was almost 50% more than last year.

Latest posts

Back