Thymol or no thymol in your winter feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wonder why these opinions are repeated in the face of research that shows the opposite. There was huge opposition to vaping Oxalic when beekeepers started here in the U.K. in Europe they had been doing it successfully for years.

That quote appears to be from 2018; the situation may have changed since then.

That quote appears to be from 2018; the situation may have changed since then.
she's still repeating it - I'm sure they put it in last Autumn's comic

I just wonder why these opinions are repeated in the face of research that shows the opposite. There was huge opposition to vaping Oxalic when beekeepers started here in the U.K. in Europe they had been doing it successfully for years.
It seems to be their mission since the BBKA was founded, they have always been hellbent on holding back beekeeping in the UK, insisting that a living can't be made from it whilst condescendingly telling the lower 'Cottager' classes they could practice it to get pocket money. It's their insistence that beekeeping here is reserved as a niche 'craft' only practiced by dabblers, holders of meaningless certificates and hobbyist. Dr Francis Smith in his book published in the early sixties was adamant that by the 1930's they had held back the advancement of beekeeping here by a half century.

she's still repeating it - I'm sure they put it in last Autumn's comic

It seems to be their mission since the BBKA was founded, they have always been hellbent on holding back beekeeping in the UK, insisting that a living can't be made from it whilst condescendingly telling the lower classes they could practice it to get pocket money. It's their insistence that beekeeping here is reserved as a niche 'craft' only practiced by dabblers, holders of meaningless certificates and hobbyist

Somebody in the BBKA must have been snooping....how do they know so much about me? ;)

I'm feeling rather generous and so offer the BBKA a free tip; instead of aggressively telling all and sundry what we can't do year after year, why don't they do something positive and work with other Govt Dept's and academia to find a solution????

I fear JBM's thoughts are correct.

To put it bluntly she’s talking out her rear end! Secondly I’d suggest most of the board are a bunch of amateurs with little practical experience above a few hives. A forward thinking innovative organisation they are not.

They have to preach because there's no time left for anything else after doing infinite modules and having meetings about the lack of meetings in the last hour.
Perhaps they should keep bees, they wouldn't have the time for all these exams...

I'm feeling rather generous and so offer the BBKA a free tip; instead of aggressively telling all and sundry what we can't do year after year, why don't they do something positive and work with other Govt Dept's and academia to find a solution????

I fear JBM's thoughts are correct.
Generous? :smilielol5: my god you've promoted the fools to the status of a government department AND mentioned working together in the same sentence - :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just confirmed my opinion. She's like Liz Truss : engages mouth first and brain follows several million seconds later. (apologies to anyone who thinks Liz Truss is wonderful)

Has there been a proper scientific study done on the effectiveness of Thymol on nosema other than the one done by turkish researchers (from two of their univerisities but for some reason published in the Pakistan journal of biological sciences ) to confirm the effectiveness or otherwise of this chemical on Nosema? In science, research results need to be independently checked and be repeatable by others before being accepted.

There is a serbian paper suggesting there are adverse side effects of thymol on healthy Nosema free bees
https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/13/7/574/htm

Use of Thymol in Nosema ceranae Control and Health Improvement of Infected Honey Bees​

The authors concluded
Our study revealed the positive effects of thymol on the health of Nosema-infected bees without producing negative effects. The proven anti-Nosema effect of thymol and subsequent prevention of Nosema’s negative effects could be beneficial on bees’ health. Moreover, our results indicate that in Nosema-free bees, thymol itself could cause certain disorders (side effects such as inducing oxidative stress, immunosuppression of the monitored genes, and reduction in bee longevity). Keeping in mind the obtained results, one should be careful with the preventive, uncontrolled, and excessive use of thymol. Further research should be conducted in order to determine the possible mechanisms of thymol activity when applied to infected and uninfected bees.

Latest posts

Back