Thymol Based Entrance Block for Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post a link to a study showing that planting thyme around hives has an effect on varroa levels inside hives. I can't find one. The only reference I could find was someone in the US on a "homesteading" website saying that because thymol treats varroa and thyme produces thymol then it must be good, but that's no argument at all.

James
Will find and post, I found it and another article about it when I googled chemical free varroa treatment, led me to grease patties with esstienal oils link from there took me to the study, titled i think passive chemical free varroa treatment. once again I do not know it does work just investigated any chemical free method I can find. But at e d of day if threat is too high I will resort to chemical treatments ie apiguard ect as last resort cheers m8

Will find and post, I found it and another article about it when I googled chemical free varroa treatment, led me to grease patties with esstienal oils link from there took me to the study, titled i think passive chemical free varroa treatment. once again I do not know it does work just investigated any chemical free method I can find. But at e d of day if threat is too high I will resort to chemical treatments ie apiguard ect as last resort cheers m8
Amazingly those areas of the world that can produce Thyme honey by the tanker load and millions of bees foraging on it……..Errrrrr still have Varoa😂😂😂😂😂

Amazingly those areas of the world that can produce Thyme honey by the tanker load and millions of bees foraging on it……..Errrrrr still have Varoa😂😂😂😂😂
Yes it is, probably a factor that there is no.known cure/prevention for varroa mite it is a matter of managing it, whether chemical or natural or combination of, mainly because it is a disease vector, did you mange to.see if those producers had a lesser count, less dws, or you just throw out a comment that supports your view? Forums are here to discuss ideas not attempt to ridicule, or dismiss ideas/questions out of hand, better people with that mind set simply keep quiet. Unless offering constructive critism or differing view. Anyway good luck with your bees

Forums are here to discuss ideas not attempt to ridicule, or dismiss ideas/questions out of hand,
Please post a link then we can discuss that link rather than your take on it which is what seems to have happened. That would be a constructive thing to do.

just investigated any chemical free method I can find

Thymol is a chemical. It's "proper" name is "5-Methyl-2-(propan-2-yl)phenol" with the formula C10H14O. If you're specifically after a non-synthetic treatment then oxalic acid seems as good a choice as thymol, probably with fewer drawbacks (not significantly temperature dependent and allows for treatment when supers are present as long as they're removed for the duration of the treatment).

James

Thymol isn't released by Thyme , it is a by product of Thyme extracted as an essential oil (note the use of the word extracted). Thyme apart from smelling nice and producing nectar & pollen will have no or little effect on varroa when foraged.

Many well ment thoughts and ideas from new beeks and the earth kind come out with all sorts of nonsense , none of which can be proved . No scientific work or papers can be linked to to provide such evidence of any silver bullet.

Last edited:
Many well ment thoughts and ideas from new beeks and the earth kind come out with all sorts of nonsense , none of which can be proved . No scientific work or papers can be linked to to provide such evidence of any silver bullet.
You got that right!

Thymol isn't released by Thyme , it is a by product of Thyme extracted as an essential oil (note the use of the word extracted). Thyme apart from smelling nice and producing nectar & pollen will have no or little effect on varroa when foraged.

Thymol is a chemical. It's "proper" name is "5-Methyl-2-(propan-2-yl)phenol" with the formula C10H14O. If you're specifically after a non-synthetic treatment then oxalic acid seems as good a choice as thymol, probably with fewer drawbacks (not significantly temperature dependent and allows for treatment when supers are present as long as they're removed for the duration of the treatment).

James
Come on the pair of you don’t let the facts spoil a good storey😉

You are probably referring to Randy Oliver’s method (scientific beekeeping), which works very well in parts of the US. Swedish washing up towels soaked with OA and glycerine, giving extended release OA. I tried it and it failed disastrously. It seems UK humidity (wet!) has a very negative effect on the treatment. It’s a shame as with supers being on from March to November in some areas, it would have been a neat solution.
Just wondering how good a washing up towel with a solution of Glycerin and Nitric acid would be at removing Varoa.

Planting Thyme or Mint in the garden isn't going to help the bee's fight varroa within the colony. A bit like Rhubarb , it tastes nice with a good crumble on top and lashings of ice cream or custard but the Rhubarb it self is useless against varroa.
My hives are right next to my rhubarb patch and it is incredibly effective.
No varroa at all............................................
You should see my flying pigs.

Latest posts

Back