Thymol Varroa Treatment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was laughing at my own wit there sugar plum............I can see it's a goodish idea, it's just the thought of all those used tea bags hanging around for days drying out.

Fris :p
I have a mate who dries them on a clothes line for use when visitors call:svengo:.

John Wilkinson

How long does this store for, or does it have to be used immediately.

Pete

As long as you keep them in the wee cardboard tube's i think they keep indefinately Pete.

Excellent Hivemaker, think you know what I mean! Took my eye off where this thread had ended up, how long does the treatment made up to your recipe last once made up.
Hate to think what I might have started!

Pete

LOL.......will also keep for weeks if sealed in with cling film.....the thymol treatment that is Pete.

i have trying thymol recipie and is working well the only problem seems to be after one week of treetment bee,s have cleared all oasis.should i replace with more after week one?

Getting back on topic (?) - anyone have any experience yet of which "gauge" of "ladies' mouse" is most appropriate to just absorb the 10 or 20ml required per treatment?????

For members who decide to make their own Thymol treatment

Original post made by Hivemaker:

The mixture is 8 grams thymol to 12 grams oil,sunflower,rape,olive or even old chip oil,multiply this measurment to make more.

warm in old pan outdoors until all the thymol crystals have dissolved then add 20 ml of this mixture to a piece of the green absorbent garden oasis(not the grey one) this is the size of a sardine tin or half pound cut comb container. two inches wide, three and a half long, and 8 ml thick. put oasis in container then put liquid on, leave overnight to soak in,will soak in better if warm.

To treat bee's cut this in half and place the two parts on top of brood frames over the brood area. reduce entrance to about 2 inches and block of any feed holes,and mesh floors,give second treatment in two weeks and another 2weeks later.

I just move the previous treatment to the outside of the brood box on the edges,some bee's chew this right away to nothing others don't touch it some just nibble the corners,makes no differene as it still works really well.look at varroa floor the next day,mites will be dead. needs to be used in warmish weather and some bee's may hang out of entrance for a couple of days others take no notice,no bad effect on bee's or queens,helps to prevent chalkbrood, much more effective than apiguard.

I believe this was tested on around 5000 hives over a period of time in spain,i have used this and this alone for the past five years,and it does not hurt if left in. nucs use half this dose.I also tried formic in nassenhieder evaporators and canadian blast method,good for killing queens.do not use when supers are on,can bee used on swarms as soon as queen stars to lay but before brood is sealed or if bad build up of mites in summer by doing artificial swarm and treating the broodless bee's for short time and parent colony until all young bee's have emerged and the mites killed.

Admin edit:

I follow the recipe above with the only difference being I fold a Kleenex into 4 and add a single dose,then put into a plastic container(Curry size)and add a sheet of grease prood paper,I then do the same with the next Kleenex and so on.

When I get to the hives I add one tissue per hive discarding the grease proof paper.

Going to have ago this year but if someone can tel me approx how many treatments the mix makes please. I will be getting a 500g bag of Thymol this year and will be splitting the bag with a couple of beekeeping buddies so may need to get two 500G bags? I recon on approx 25-30 hives with three treatments each.

I will also be continuing with Hivemakers Thymol in the syrup this year as that worked well for me last year.

A teaspoon is 5ml

Frisbee

Saw this ages ago, must reply I feel:.) A teaspoon is 5ml. Most small spoons around these days are based on coffee spoons, so smaller or are just 'small spoons', nothing to do with 'tea'spoons.

Reasons I was really looking at this thread again was to find the recipe with the lecithin in. Found it about 2 years ago and been unable to find it since.

Ah! Just found it:.)

Last edited:
Can you add the thymol mixed with spirit into syrup? I think I did this last year but the bees were not fussed on it.

May I ask, have You tested on thymol residues in honey or wax. Was it in acceptable level? I'm really interested in application of thymol in this way, but just to be sure to don't have other problems..

Thanx in advance.

May I ask, have You tested on thymol residues in honey or wax. Was it in acceptable level? I'm really interested in application of thymol in this way, but just to be sure to don't have other problems..

Thanx in advance.

Bearing in mind that thymol is naturally present in some nectar, a small residue is not a problem. What is a problem is if there is too much thymolised syrup left at the end of winter, and they move it up into the supers. But of course there should be no sugar syrup in your honey, so this should not be a problem.

Thank You again for answer. For prevention of N. ceranae I use nozevit ( originated from our country).
If I may ask how are your experiences for apsorbent ( holder) of thymol. Are maybe the same: ladies tampons or oasis or something else. Or only oasis gives best results.

Sorry for bothering..

Tissue/paper kitchen towel is good too, more universal than Oasis and less likely to get string between the teeth than using tampons . . . :)

I have found that four sheets holds one dose of thymol, so take two sheets folded at the perforation, and fold into two again in the same direction, before folding into three.

Sheet size 190mm x 190mm. final wad size approx 95mm x 70mm. Two wads to a dose. When I apply them to the top bars, I open out the triflolds so that each wad is 95mm x 190mm.

I find that a total oil thymol load of just under 1 litre is an ideal unit size as it will fit the wads on end in a 10lb honey bucket. Lid diameter 190mm, depth 140mm. I use a cheap 1 litre stainless steel thermos flask to dissolve the appropriate amount of thymol in hot oil and then pour over the packed wads in the bucket, shut the lid and leave them for a wee before use. I normally bag them up into convenient packages and store in another bucket which I turn upside down from time to time.

Two wads to a a dose, three dozes to a colony. Half a dose for nucs. The total thymol weight of the three doses is the same as that contained in two Apiguard doses.

The bees variously, ignore it, eat it, tear it and dispose of through the entrance, shred it into cellulose fibres or propolise it. Anything that might be left at the first spring inspection will be discarded. Each successive dose displaces the previous rememants outwards and the new dose is placed diagonally opposite the previous one.

If I have actually left anything out, other than the actual figures, let me know. It need not be too accurate, remember anythying less than 10% probably isn't too much to get excited about anyway.

So, that's how I do it.

I have a fair number of doses left from the autumn and as they are kept in a sealed bucket, I will be more than happy to use them next autumn or if required at any time prior to that.

Don't under estimate the time that it will take to fold up all those wads for a target 20 to 25 colonies. Buy in a big roll of kitchen roll, as you know that it will make sense. Show the kids how to do it and make it into a game. Kitchen roll isn't generally harmful to kids and they can chat away whilst mildly concentrating on something else. Just QA their work periodically so that it is all uniform.with folds all in the same directions so that it is very simple when you are eventually unfolding them in the field. Uniformity and a mild bit of conformance to standards in the workplace.

Thank You for sharing ideas. I will see how it goes.:thanks:
Also I'm thinking of using starch as absorbent.. Will see..

Alternative Varroa Treatment
2 Parts Thymol
1 Part Surgical Spirit
USE DIGITAL SCALES AND 10 ML SYRINGE AS OVERDOSE WILL KILL BEE’S
Example 500gms Thymol + 250gms Surgical Spirit
Dissolve Thymol in Surgical spirit,
Use 8 ml in a syringe on two kitchen towel Squares folded down to approx 50mm x 100mm or 2”x 4”
Use another 8 ml on two more towels folded the same and place on top of brood frames
One each side of the brood.
Repeat after 14 days!!
Boots Surgical spirit 500ml £3.25
Thorne’s Thymol crystals 500gm £18.48
This will treat approx 24 hives twice.

********* no more varroa

just double checking are we saying use 2 lots of 8ml?

Latest posts

Back