Thymol Varroa Treatment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently testing this oil/thymol preparation.

I didn't have any oasis to hand so I borrowed a couple of those little compressed cotton wool cylinder thingies which ladies use at certain times of the month.

They have a convenient bit of string to hang them in the hive and absorb the solution beautifully.

Unfortunately they belonged to the woman next door and expand massively. I think I might prefer a smaller size.

I didn't have any oasis to hand so I borrowed a couple of those little compressed cotton wool cylinder thingies which ladies use at certain times of the month.

They have a convenient bit of string to hang them in the hive and absorb the solution beautifully.

Unfortunately they belonged to the woman next door and expand massively. I think I might prefer a smaller size.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hope your not going to give them back when you've finished with them :ack2:

Frisbee

I shall dispose of them 'hygenically' and go and see the girl in the chemists, and hang around looking uncomfortable, until no-one else is in the shop ! :blush5:

It's actually a very good idea. It's the string which appeals...........I've used several half sized pieces of oasis on nucs and they always fall through the frames to the floor :confused: Oasis will be cheaper though, £1 a slab from my local florist.

Frisbee

Last edited:
Please weigh the thymol crystals,i have had several 500g and 2kg containers of thymol crystals,and the weight has not been the one stated on the label,some being well over.

Good point. I've altered my post to put that in - thanks. You'd think in these days of weights and measures................

Frisbee

Thanks Fris .... I must remember not to get the girl in the florists mixed up with the chemists ! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Fris .... I must remember not to get the girl in the florists mixed up with the chemists ! ;)

Good idea JC,If you go to the chemist for Oasis you will end up with this:

I am now worried! Summer Fruits Oasis is a favourite soft drink of mine and I dont pay full attention when shopping.

The mind boggles Admin and Rosti ! ....... If one were to mix them up .........

I can well imagine going into the florists and saying " could I have a large bunch of those pink tampons please, I want to impress my girlfriend this evening ! "

Or worse, going into the chemists and saying. " Could I have some tampons please, and have you got any which are fully open, as they look so much better in a vase ! "

Oh dear I'm so confused now I think I'll have to very careful indeed.

Especially careful with the uses of oasis ! Oh dear that's even worse ............. now where can someone have put that ???

:svengo: :svengo::svengo::svengo:

Last edited:
My decorum is saved ! ......... by dint of much experiment and lateral thinking, I have discovered an absorbent pad which is available in every home, and it's free of charge !

It soaks up about 10ml of the thymol oil beautifully and can be fixed in the hive with a drawing pin, or threaded on a bit of thin string, to keep it securely in position.

The answer ............ used tea-bags. Dry 'em out and put two teaspoons of oil mixture on each one. They're great. :)

used tea-bags. Dry 'em out and put two teaspoons of oil mixture on each one. They're great. :)

Don't you feel sometimes that life's a bit too short? :rofl:

My decorum is saved ! ......... by dint of much experiment and lateral thinking, I have discovered an absorbent pad which is available in every home.

I'm glad your decorum is saved, it's stopped me worrying about your virginity with using those other things :laughing-smiley-004 :laughing-smiley-004

Fris ;)

Don't you feel sometimes that life's a bit too short? :rofl:

Fris ;)

Huh, you can laugh if you like ............. life's not the only thing that's a bit too short !!

Glad you were worrying about my virginity, ....... is it that obvious ? :p

:)

p.s. I've got tea bags. Got No bl**dy oasis have I ! ;)

I was laughing at my own wit there sugar plum............I can see it's a goodish idea, it's just the thought of all those used tea bags hanging around for days drying out.
Fris :p

Do you mean to say ............... you don't save 'em ???? :ack2: :svengo:

D'ya want me to send you some...................?

Fris

Nah, .............. save 'em for when we meet for a drink and dinner ;)

JC.

save 'em for when we meet for a drink and dinner ;)JC.

big-wink.gif

Fris.

I'm currently testing this oil/thymol preparation.

Just been reading this link with interest and then got to this comment and nearly wet myself laughing :smilielol5:

Latest posts

Back