Thymol Based Entrance Block for Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb2603

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Came across an article on a new method of Varroa treatment - Hive Guard - which is essentially an entrance block infused with thymol. Simply, The bees coming in and out of the hive come into contact with the thymol and kills off the mites. Additionally the block slowly releases the thymol directly into the hive. Looks to only recently be out of beta testing but initial results look positive - 70% decline in infestation after 3 weeks is the main statistic used in the article. Only available currently in the US and for Langstroth hives but interested in if anyone has seen this and has any thoughts on how effective it might be as an alternative solution to current methods of control?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/17/world/raina-jain-hiveguard-honeybees-spc-intl/index.html
https://hive-guard.com/

Bit of a gimmick I’d suggest at 70% it’s rather less effective than other Varro treatments inc thymol based. Also likely to have similar draw backs being temperature dependant and tainting honey.

It may well have a place in IPM but like Ian I think it may well taint the honey.

70% decline in infestation after 3 weeks is the main statistic used in the article
Too little informaton to dismiss it this early.

ApiLifeVar and Apiguard have longer UK treatment periods, so it would be useful to compare like for like. Both those UK products will taint honey, so HG is no different; timing of treatment is all.

I wrote to Raina and asked for more research results, and also whether she has FDA approval for use. Anybody can write to her on the website Research page, where you will see a whole rack of innovation awards, but, it must be said, no hard research results.

What is really good to see is a young intelligent beekeeper conjuring new ways of doing the same old. Raina was working on this as a teenager and has brought HG to market at the age of 20, so lets hope that more like her are out there.

Last edited:
Someone (can't remember who) gave a lecture to Somerset beekeepers who showed oxalic acid soaked into spong as an alternative to trickling or vaping saying that the bees walking over these allow a longish contact hence the mites would be killed. I wonder at the right time of the year a trough filled with soaked sponge that the bees would be forced to walk over on entering and leaving would be effective in this regard.

If done in the autumn there would be no contamination of honey. Any thoughts on this idea?

Someone (can't remember who) gave a lecture to Somerset beekeepers who showed oxalic acid soaked into spong as an alternative to trickling or vaping saying that the bees walking over these allow a longish contact hence the mites would be killed. I wonder at the right time of the year a trough filled with soaked sponge that the bees would be forced to walk over on entering and leaving would be effective in this regard.

If done in the autumn there would be no contamination of honey. Any thoughts on this idea?

It sounds inspired by the experiments that Randy Oliver has done/is doing. I suspect there's a question over whether the bees that varroa prefer to use as hosts leave the hive often enough for it to be effective.

James

That’s well trialed in the US they generally use those fabric towels or similar there’s also Oxalic strips. If you Google Randy Oliver oxalic towel you should find something on you tube.

https://www.abelo.co.uk/welcome-to-abelo/oxalic-acid-strips/

The issue being nothing for UK use is licensed for in season hive use when a flow is on and honey is present in the hive that is to be harvested at some stage. Thymol will taint and is an end of season product.

The best one can do is vape a hive brood box/s sans honey supers then replace said supers once finished vaping.

"My parents raised me on the one fundemental principle of live and let live, to value every life no matter how small."

Unless it's a varroa mite, it would appear :D

James
Im quite happy for varroa to live in Asia but not here as an invasive pest species

It sounds inspired by the experiments that Randy Oliver has done/is doing. I suspect there's a question over whether the bees that varroa prefer to use as hosts leave the hive often enough for it to be effective.

James
That's the guy but no have not tried it.

You are probably referring to Randy Oliver’s method (scientific beekeeping), which works very well in parts of the US. Swedish washing up towels soaked with OA and glycerine, giving extended release OA. I tried it and it failed disastrously. It seems UK humidity (wet!) has a very negative effect on the treatment. It’s a shame as with supers being on from March to November in some areas, it would have been a neat solution.

Came across an article on a new method of Varroa treatment - Hive Guard - which is essentially an entrance block infused with thymol. Simply, The bees coming in and out of the hive come into contact with the thymol and kills off the mites. Additionally the block slowly releases the thymol directly into the hive. Looks to only recently be out of beta testing but initial results look positive - 70% decline in infestation after 3 weeks is the main statistic used in the article. Only available currently in the US and for Langstroth hives but interested in if anyone has seen this and has any thoughts on how effective it might be as an alternative solution to current methods of control?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/17/world/raina-jain-hiveguard-honeybees-spc-intl/index.html
https://hive-guard.com/
Since thymol comes from thyme I have pla Ted plplanted more thyme in my apiary along with mint which is a passive way of treating

Some studies show thymol is an effective treatment so thyme which produces thymol, the bees forage I. Thus a passive treatment, I can't explain. Fully but Google passive varroa treatment thyme

Some studies show thymol is an effective treatment so thyme which produces thymol, the bees forage I. Thus a passive treatment

Someone (possibly not you, granted) seems to have made far too many unjustified assumptions about varroa, foraging, the production of thymol and the concentration required to actually have any effect on varroa.

James

Hey all I know is I looked at the study conclusions and methods. Also there was valid hypothesis and support for others that seemed to be qualified. I still check of course, but I do wonder if you made your comment without first looking up any info or just your own knowledge and experience

Hey all I know is I looked at the study conclusions and methods. Also there was valid hypothesis and support for others that seemed to be qualified. I still check of course, but I do wonder if you made your comment without first looking up any info or just your own knowledge and experience

Post a link to a study showing that planting thyme around hives has an effect on varroa levels inside hives. I can't find one. The only reference I could find was someone in the US on a "homesteading" website saying that because thymol treats varroa and thyme produces thymol then it must be good, but that's no argument at all.

James

Latest posts

Back