Thymol mix in sugar brick

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+ colonies
Would there be any advantage in adding some thymol mix to the small amount of water used when making up some sugar bricks for emergency winter feeding? We've moved away from fondant as the shipping costs make it very expensive.

Can you not get hold of baker’s fondant

well have a chat with your local independent baker and see what they say.
Really speaking it's pointless putting the thymol into late winter emergency feeding, you need to get it into the syrup when you feed them up in the autumn

Last edited:
well have a chat with your local independent baker and see what they say.
Really speaking it's pointless putting the thymol into late inter emergency feeding, you need to get it into the syrup when you feed them up in the autumn
I'll have a look around and see what I can find in the area.

Just ensure it’s the bog standard bakers fondant, you’ve also got brakes in some parts
“Brakes in Ireland has depots in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Lisburn and Strabane, and it deliver an extensive range of fresh, frozen, ambient and non-food products all designed specifically for foodservice and all offering excellent value for money.”

Just ensure it’s the bog standard bakers fondant, you’ve also got brakes in some parts
“Brakes in Ireland has depots in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Lisburn and Strabane, and it deliver an extensive range of fresh, frozen, ambient and non-food products all designed specifically for foodservice and all offering excellent value for money.”
Never heard of them. Will check them out. Strabane about an hour away which wouldn't be too bad. Thanks. 👍

You may need a trade account or do a bulk order through club, bakers fondant is basically what they put on iced buns so decent bakers that actually makes stuff can often be persuaded to order an extra box or two Often a jar of honey helps. Guessing it’ll be £10-£15 a £12.5kg box from a wholesaler’s….. I’m a bit out of touch I’ve got ambrosia at a silly price.

You may need a trade account or do a bulk order through club
I can only speak of my dealings with Bako, but most managers are happy to supply beekeepers with a discretionary 'one off' purchase - usually with a minimum purchase amount (in Swansea it's about £80.00)

I get mine from the Baker in the next town, 2 miles away. That is where they actually do the baking, not at the shop in our town. Always has it in stocks.

I can only speak of my dealings with Bako, but most managers are happy to supply beekeepers with a discretionary 'one off' purchase - usually with a minimum purchase amount (in Swansea it's about £80.00)
I agree, my minimum is £150 tho but perhaps that is because I’m quite a way from the depot.

I tried it once
Obviously it stunk the house out for two or three months but something went wrong with the process on that occasion (may not have been the thymol) and it wouldn't set.
I gave up and poured it into the bin
Which was plastic and soon melted through onto the kitchen floor.
I got a fair amount of it off before she got home and had thrown it outside where it poisoned a patch of the lawn.
So no its not worth it.
Really it isnt.

Latest posts

Back