Adding honey to syrup or fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
This year I think I have left the bees enough honey to overwinter so haven't fed syrup as yet - they are still fairly busy on ivy too.
However I'm wondering if there would be any merit in adding a small amount of honey to winter feed (either syrup or fondant).

Possible advantages would be:
1. More attractive to the bees so may take/find it more readily.
2. Honey contains invertase so will slowly invert sucrose even before the bees take it.
3. For fondant the invertase activity might gradually increase the solubility if the sugars in water and so help to keep fondant soft.
4. Diastase in honey might convert any starch in fondant to sugars.

Anyone got experience of this?

It wasn't advisable to add honey due to potentially spread of diseases.. I am great listener, but sometimes horrible obedient. I give usually honey of my own bees in fondant mix we make. Beside that we invert sugar syrup ( with citric acid) as well for fondant. May be one day it stings me, but not I alone, lot of beeks here do the same.. Couple kilos in one batch ( approx 30-35kg grinded sugar+invert). But decent fondants can be made without honey also, invert should be proper and sufficient..
Sometimes when some colony surprise me and deplete stores I place on top bars in women nylon stockings 1-2kg of crystalized honey. Later on, when they transfer honey you would be surprised how dry stocking become ( and clean).

I might add some otherwise unsellable honey into syrup as I am a skinflint and don't want to waste it, otherwise it's not worth the bother. Sugar syrup or fondant is fine. When it's cold, fondant needs to be on the top bars of the hive so it can easily be reached.

Latest posts

Back