The Forum.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somerford?

Have you read what I put about the politics of kicking NZ?

There is nothing new about this import matter. It has been going on for over a hundred years.

I seriously urge you to have a think about this issue, as it is not an issue to the powers that be.

The answer to my mind is not rattling national Gov as they are not interested, but in negating the demand.

PH

PH agree that active direct political campaign might not get anyway or be appropriate.

an indirect campaign on back of breeding programme may well be a good way to go.

formalise the breeding programme (British Bee Scheme?) and then those who subscribe to it are entitled to label their honey as "produced by BBS bees"

NZ queens

This is a very interesting thread for me - 3 years into beekeeping and i have a colony bursting with bees from last year with a new Zealand queen at the helm and another with bees from eastern Europe. I have wondered about it before and now will be avoiding these imports

thanks

the New Zealand bees eat all the honey before i can get at it by the way

ps anyone have any Scottish queens for sale..

PH - Frankly, I couldn't give a toss about the implications for NZ....Yes I have huge sympathy for the earthquake victims and their families, but this has nothing to do with that...you are getting your wires crossed mate. People kick the UK all the time and we have our own calamities !

So it has been happening for 100 years.....so lets get it stopped.

A label like DRS suggests is a good start, a bit like the little red tractor logo, but it would need huge marketing to make sure people knew what it meant, and also how the devil would we police it ??

S

Um no my wires are very straight, I am not the one emoting I am the one trying to steer a straight course.

I leave you to consider that.

Minus emotion.

PH

You could police it by have a website which gives details of Registered beekeepers by area.Each Label has the site on it.

Example www.BBS.org/iow This link goes nowhere i think try it and see lol

So there you go....everyone get out and order hundreds of mating nucs, and the necessary back up equipment plus stock,and just get on with it,Queen rearing,action speaks louder than words.

Petition vs Letters?
Why not do both?

I have to say my MP has responded very comprehensively (if not very favourably) when I have written to him, for example, on pesticides. Now if more of his beekeeping constituents were to write to him, he might start sitting up, listening and changing his opinion.

Wrote to my MP, Ian Liddell-Grainger re pesticides, said he would not support early day motion about same. Looks like not much interest in bees then! Maybe the only time they will start to take notice is if you say you will actively start to campaign against them!:)

A question:
If true british queens were available in huge numbers how many of you would be prepared to pay a premium price for a premium product? Do we not all buy products Made in China because it is cheaper than Made in Uk, I am only acting as devils advocate here, if I could do it or many others on here could raise sufficient to meet demand then we would be doing it. The season is just too short. I am putting my tin hat on and ducking for cover for now. As most of you know I love queen breeding, but can never breed enough.

to meet demand:

1. every association branch should be breeding their own or working with others to same end.

2. individual members of same with the capability should be doing the same.

3. individuals willing to host "breeding centres" as suggested on threads should do so.

realistically how much of a premium are we talking for queens - £35 vs £25 or less differential - and for nucs - £175 vs £150 say? Surely once the scheme gains momentum the added costs reduce?

The season is just too short. I am putting my tin hat on and ducking for cover for now. As most of you know I love queen breeding, but can never breed enough.

Oliver Field (Honey by the ton) came to consider raising his own queens as the way to go simply as a way of getting reliable quality. If more of the commercial sector could be persuaded to be self-sufficient, surely the demand from amateurs would be small enough that it reasonably coud be met by associations etc?

So there you go....everyone get out and order hundreds of mating nucs, and the necessary back up equipment plus stock,and just get on with it,Queen rearing,action speaks louder than words.

Agree with this obviously a market place for Queens on small scale as a cooperative its all possible.

realistically how much of a premium are we talking for queens - £35 vs £25 or less differential - and for nucs - £175 vs £150 say? Surely once the scheme gains momentum the added costs reduce?

Not disagreeing with DRst's post but answering it / clarifying it.

The objective is to reduce/stop imports, motivation is to protect UK bee stocks. Some 'customers' may agree, many will not care. You get them on your side through their wallet. So if the differential on a queen is -30% (25 v 35) you have a chance; likewise on nucs makes it 175 import v 125 domestic.

If you think morals have a premium in general business your bonkers! and as said before, no big boy buy in, no progress. That means a reliable volume supply. No point being busy fools here.

Rosti - a very good point ! OK, it's nice to make a huge profit on the nucs some of us produce, but if we undercut the big boys (some are over £220 this year...) then we not only help the newbeek, but we also perpetuate our local genes...

I'm considering printing info labels on the back of my honey jars......made by British Bred Bees and a bit more info too ! Perhaps a link to a website.....

Maybe the forum beeks who sell honey could sign up to put a similar or same label on the reverse of all their jars.....after all we must cumulatively sell 10,000s of jars between us !!

regards

S

Rosti - a very good point ! OK, it's nice to make a huge profit on the nucs some of us produce, but if we undercut the big boys (some are over £220 this year...) then we not only help the newbeek, but we also perpetuate our local genes...

I'm considering printing info labels on the back of my honey jars......made by British Bred Bees and a bit more info too ! Perhaps a link to a website.....

Maybe the forum beeks who sell honey could sign up to put a similar or same label on the reverse of all their jars.....after all we must cumulatively sell 10,000s of jars between us !!

regards

S

:iagree::iagree: what about some type of emblem if everyone uses it, it will gradually become a standard sign to look for. Maybe a bee with a union flag waistcoat? twee I know but you have to start somewhere!

what about some type of emblem if everyone uses it, it will gradually become a standard sign to look for. Maybe a bee with a union flag waistcoat? twee I know but you have to start somewhere!

Yer avin a larf....in France?

Chris

although I do rasie my own queens and have done for the lst five years, there will always be beekeepers who will buy from outside the UK. Its easier to buy than to breed.
the thoughts and voice's on here speak volumes for the type of caring members there are, but I am sorry to say I do not wish to become involved because eventually it will die a death as most other shouts to the government do.

Mo

:iagree::iagree: what about some type of emblem if everyone uses it, it will gradually become a standard sign to look for. Maybe a bee with a union flag waistcoat? twee I know but you have to start somewhere!

I wouldn't put the union flag on anything of mine and nor will I wear it.

Latest posts

Back