sugar price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pasted from" The birds and bees forum."..........

Anyone know whether Whitworth granulated sugar is from sugar beet or sugar cane? I'll soon be taking my bees off of fondant icing and moving over to sugar syrup but sugar from sugar beet is poisonous to them. And as I have 15kg of the darned stuff, I think I better check. Whitworths haven't replied to me.

Now beginners reading this thread... before accusations of Blackadderisms get thrown out of the pram.....

NO DIFFERENCE between cane or beet sugar... it is SUCROSE.

However do not feed your bees anything* but pure white granulated sugar or you may give them the... OH NO can not say that!!

AND 75p per kilo is a good price... could have saved me £36... over Tesco

But then Tesco at Kellywick is 2.75 miles from me, nearest Farm Foods is 18 miles + Tamar Bridge fees... and we will not be getting any rural fuel subsidy as petrol is same price in Tesco as petrol stations nest to the Cattedown petrol depot... and then I get the 5p petrol off coupon ... if I buy my sugar at the right time.

:sorry: dis not want to P** P** the heads up
Great for Urban beeks I suppose!

* Invert is OK if you can afford it !

Last edited:

Anyone know whether Whitworth granulated sugar is from sugar beet or sugar cane? I'll soon be taking my bees off of fondant icing and moving over to sugar syrup but sugar from sugar beet is poisonous to them. And as I have 15kg of the darned stuff, I think I better check. Whitworths haven't replied to me.

Now beginners reading this thread... before accusations of Blackadderisms get thrown out of the pram.....

NO DIFFERENCE between cane or beet sugar... it is SUCROSE.

Rubbish. A little knowledge is dangerous.
See the White Bee thread, post #34.

From the (admittedly small) level of impurities which are always present in sugar it is possible to tell much about it's provenance.

LJ

given the **** (literally) that bees are happy to feed on a few impurities judged safe for human consumption are irrelevent.

Time was when there was a significant difference to the bees between cane and beet.
But no longer. And not even recently.

However NEVER brown (or even 'golden') sugar.

And its getting late now for feeding sugar syrup.
Late sugar-syrup feeding promotes the same sort of trouble as brown sugar.
If you are light, get some bee invert syrup (like Ambrosia). HFCS ain't the same stuff. Get one made for bees. They are still taking that.
And maybe get hold of some ordinary white Bako fondant. No need to buy bee-branded fondant.

given the **** (literally) that bees are happy to feed on a few impurities judged safe for human consumption are irrelevent.
:thanks:

Beets need BORON to grow... seems this was used as ammunition by the cane importers against the beet producers.

Cane was historically smothered in ARSENIC to kill off the cane weevil...some areas are still contaminated today..... seems this was used as ammunition by the beet producers against the cane importers !

References to mere anectdotal preferences by honeybees and their robbing activities ( in an unrelated thread) are possibly more to do with their genetic provenance than their assumed dislike of sugar impurities!

70p a kilo... still a long drive for me to my nearest Bookers!

Last edited:

!
more to the point what is this birds and bees forum? there's obviously at least one cuckoo on there - where do they find these people?
Apart from the obvious idiocy about cane v beet sugar. taking bees off fondant and putting them on syrup. poor bees! with an id!ot like that poking around their hives i'm sure they'd prefer to take their chances on their own against varroa, weather, habitat loss and the big bogeyman neonics!

Add:
Sorry stoneleighhouse - didn't mean to sabotage the thread and go off topic. Shall we all visit the bees and the cuckoos forum and have a good laugh!

Sorry stoneleighhouse - didn't mean to sabotage the thread and go off topic. Shall we all visit the bees and the cuckoos forum and have a good laugh!

Bet they ban us both PDQ me ol shipmate!

Bookers are getting rid of all remaining stock of Silver spoon 25kg bags (granulated or caster) sugar at £35 for two 25kg bags ie 70p per kg. Available up to 31 December only. They are apparently changing to another supplier/brand.

Latest posts

Back