Fondant v sugar cakes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul4848

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I read that with sugar cakes bees need to invert the sugar. If apple cider vinegar and citric acid is used it can help to Invert the sugar. Would it be ok to use sugar cakes in that case throughout winter rather than fondant? Has anybody done this succesfully?

I read that with sugar cakes bees need to invert the sugar
as they do with fondant - but only if they are storing either
apple cider
what other type if cider is there? the word 'Apple' is totally superfluous in this case
Would it be ok to use sugar cakes in that case throughout winter rather than fondant
why use it 'throughout' the winter either feed it in quantity in the autumn for bees to store or keep it as an 'emergency' top up towards the end of winter if they get a bit low on stores

I read that with sugar cakes bees need to invert the sugar. If apple cider vinegar and citric acid is used it can help to Invert the sugar. Would it be ok to use sugar cakes in that case throughout winter rather than fondant? Has anybody done this succesfully?
I made sugar cakes for my bees several years ago using apple cider vinegar and granulated sugar.
Several weeks after I'd placed it on my colonies I noticed a white line on the soil and grass going away from the front of nearly every hive it was on.
On further investigation I found they had chucked it all out ,the white line was in fact sugar.
Replaced it with fondant and they were happy.
It may work for some but not for me.

Latest posts

Back