sugar price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sugar substitute 50mm x 2.4m x 1.2m w w w . insulationshop . co £21

I put the price here for those who would like to get some sugar for spring build up or for stores for next winter ( its not going to get cheaper ) not to waste money on insulation all around their hives in this mild winter, they have lived for years without it and they will be here after you and myself have gone without it, its not going to feed them if they are short of stores, I am not having a go at you but i was talking about price of sugar.

Thanks johnfly, just bought a load.

I put the price here for those who would like to get some sugar for spring build up or for stores for next winter ( its not going to get cheaper ) not to waste money on insulation all around their hives in this mild winter, they have lived for years without it and they will be here after you and myself have gone without it, its not going to feed them if they are short of stores, I am not having a go at you but i was talking about price of sugar.

The point behind what Derek wrote is that if you invest in the insulation - which will last for years - you don't need to spend the money on the sugar - which is a consumable and therefore annual expense.

So how much sugar do you use even in a mild winter...? even at 50p a bag is still a recurring expense.

Increased insulation means less sugar needed for winter and faster spring build up.

And during Summer how much honey are you losing in the heat wasted in ripening honey by the bees?

Bees lived with insulation in this country for thousands of years until homosapiens chopped it all down.

why waste money laying in big sugar stocks for an avoidable recurring expense?

After buying enough to fend off emergency starvation, spend the rest on a one time investment.

Last edited:
The point behind what Derek wrote is that if you invest in the insulation - which will last for years - you don't need to spend the money on the sugar - which is a consumable and therefore annual expense.

I can see what he means, what you two are saying that if you have your hive insulated you will never use sugar for winter feed and never run out of stores at all ?

So how much sugar do you use even in a mild winter...? even at 50p a bag is still a recurring expense.

Increased insulation means less sugar needed for winter and faster spring build up.

And during Summer how much honey are you losing in the heat wasted in ripening honey by the bees?

Bees lived with insulation in this country for thousands of years until homosapiens chopped it all down.

why waste money laying in big sugar stocks for an avoidable recurring expense?

After buying enough to fend off emergency starvation, spend the rest on a one time investment.

I am not going to argue with you about insulation, myself I would not buy it , if its getting thrown out and I can use it I will, I do have some insulation in the hive roofs.
I will buy what sugar I think I will need for next winter or spring build up and if I don’t need it than I will make jams and other things out of it
I was saying that if you want to get some cheap sugar then bookers have it cheap for seven days, bees will still live when its cold but not when they run out of stores, nobody is perfect looking after bees?
Yes bees will build up quicker in an insulated box, but the wooden ones will catch up later.
Take two years ago bees built up early then weather turned and a lot run out of stores, if you have no sugar in store then you have to go and get some at a higher price, if you don’t use it on the bees then use it yourself it wont go off.

I can see what he means, what you two are saying that if you have your hive insulated you will never use sugar for winter feed and never run out of stores at all ?

Never say never! :) Experience has shown that the amount of sugar/fondant used for my insulated hives means that the savings to be made by bulk buying are not really worth going out of my way for. I did buy a pack of 12 x 1KG bags from Costco in the summer as the price was good - but most of it has gone into cakes for work! I let the bees have the ivy honey they collect in the autumn, I don't feed any syrup (except small quantities to a swarm) and so far this winter, they have hardly touched the small amount of fondant I put in.

Never say never! :) Experience has shown that the amount of sugar/fondant used for my insulated hives means that the savings to be made by bulk buying are not really worth going out of my way for. I did buy a pack of 12 x 1KG bags from Costco in the summer as the price was good - but most of it has gone into cakes for work! I let the bees have the ivy honey they collect in the autumn, I don't feed any syrup (except small quantities to a swarm) and so far this winter, they have hardly touched the small amount of fondant I put in.

Thats good, i dont take all the honey off and always let them have ivy if they want to collect it, so far this winter i have not used much fondant either only two hives are light but they seem to bee having parties when ever i go past the hives

Time will tell how long kingspan will last as hive insulation, and this viewpoint also sidesteps the biology of the bees, in that how they behave is often dictated not by how much is in the bank, but by how much income is about. Sugar is a useful tool, as, no doubt, is adequate insulation.

Time will tell how long kingspan will last as hive insulation, and this viewpoint also sidesteps the biology of the bees, in that how they behave is often dictated not by how much is in the bank, but by how much income is about. Sugar is a useful tool, as ,no doubt, is adequate insulation.

:iagree:

I am new this year do don't shout.

If you insulate its warmer so surely Q lays more so they need to use more stores for brood AND then use more stores to keep the temp up.

Or have I missed the point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you insulate its warmer so surely Q lays more so they need to use more stores for brood AND then use more stores to keep the temp up.

yes you have... :)

and Welcome to the Forum.. invest in a tin hat ... I have found that it helps :)

bees are well adapted to living in high levels of insulation (tree nests have average of 150mm walls). contrary to myth they do cluster (but they appear to need other factors beside cold) and take brood breaks (brooding has factors other than temperature) but they consume less stores, smaller colonies have better survival rates, and they build up faster in the spring, and give heavier spring honey yields.

However, high levels of insulation in beekeeping are almost unknown, low levels(thin wood hives) are predominent in the UK and US, medium levels(thin poly hives) are common in the Europe.

Last edited:
Bringing up this topic, Bookers have 2 x 25kg bags for £30 / 60p Kg. This is till mid April.

Latest posts

Back