Refractometer readings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drex

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just learned a valuable lesson.
Checked some buckets of honey whose water content was ok at time of extraction. Was gutted to see that some had crept up to 20.5 +. However after stirring up the buckets well and rechecking the values had dropped to around 19. I guess that the less dense honey, with highest water content will float to top of bucket. So for a reliable reading always stir first. Just as a point of interest, I have never had honey with a water content of 17 that some report on here

Maybe your buckets are not as airtight as you think and honey being hygroscopic the surface of the honey may have absorbed water from the air coming in from the outside by diffusion.

My rape this year averaged 17

Last year - long, dry summer - lots at or around 14.5%
This year - average year - everything extracted and tested yesterday was around 17.5%

Same apiary etc.

The other thing that was notable was that there was a higher proportion of uncapped honey this year. All passed the shake test and will be fine, just not something I've noticed before.

Took honey off and put I. Jars the following day after 24 hours selling. Checked water every 12 jars and it changed for the worse each time! As you say, dense honey settles!
E

Just put a bucket of honey reading 19.5 in a small room with dehumidifier...
Now know to stir before testing again - thanks.

Honey is better dehydrated in the frames.
Stack the supers up open top and bottom in a tiny room (not the loo)
Add a fan heater and a dehumidifier
Various machine are around to do the job, of course, from the expensive to the vastly expensive

I am intrigued by the 19.5.

I was taught that sub 21 was required for blossom and sub 23 for heather.

BUT it could be safely bottled at those numbers.

PH

If you are selling legal is 20% or under for most blossom honeys and 23% or under for heather.
At 19% I wouldn't be trying to remove any more water.

Exactly. I am happy with 20 % or less. I do wonder why my bees do not reduce water content lower than they do. Perhaps it is an energy efficiency thing, knowing that it will not ferment if it is at 19-20

19% should be alright. However when run honey crystallises then the chance of fermentation increases. (Crystallisation takes sugars out of solution - the remaining liquid is a higher percentage water - go over 20% and the osmophilic yeast may start to work) The closer to 20% you are, then the greater the risk.

19% should be alright. However when run honey crystallises then the chance of fermentation increases. (Crystallisation takes sugars out of solution - the remaining liquid is a higher percentage water - go over 20% and the osmophilic yeast may start to work) The closer to 20% you are, then the greater the risk.

:iagree:
A few years ago I had a few jars left at 19.5% after a year they started to ferment. This may have been down to the faulty refractometer I had at the time, which showed a difference in readings between medicinal liquid paraffin and refractometer calibration fluid. +2%, it was an ATC. Either the prism or the metal strip was faulty.

Let us know how the dehumidifier gets on please as I would be interested.

Hi Dodge,
The dehumidifier was on for most of the morning, the bucket covered with a tea towel and a net. A reduction from 19.5 to 16.5 at the edge of the bucket and 17.5 in the centre.
Happy with that:cheers2::cheers2:

I extract my honey and it is in jars within the hour. Saves settling and ensures everything is even right through the batch. If I'm not going to put it in jars straight away I don't extract it from the frames until I need it.

Hi Dodge,
The dehumidifier was on for most of the morning, the bucket covered with a tea towel and a net. A reduction from 19.5 to 16.5 at the edge of the bucket and 17.5 in the centre.
Happy with that:cheers2::cheers2:

What about down at the bottom of the bucket?

What about down at the bottom of the bucket?

See first post - the highest water content was found at the top. My 19.5 was at the top. My improved 17.5 was at the top.
I'll check as I jar it and if you're really interested (which I doubt) and not just being obtuse (which I suspect) I'll report back:)

See first post - the highest water content was found at the top. My 19.5 was at the top. My improved 17.5 was at the top.
I'll check as I jar it and if you're really interested (which I doubt) and not just being obtuse (which I suspect) I'll report back:)

I'd be interested to hear - don't mix it to get a false reading.

Latest posts

Back