Refractometer readings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. I am happy with 20 % or less. I do wonder why my bees do not reduce water content lower than they do. Perhaps it is an energy efficiency thing, knowing that it will not ferment if it is at 19-20

I found that at 19-20 it sometimes ferments and no longer risk it for sale; anything at that level is mixed with a bucket or buckets at 16 or lower. Easy enough last year after the heatwave: rooftop city honey was down to 13%.

In the past I'd mix a bucket beginning to ferment at 19 or 20 with anything heated and sell it as Bakers' in 400g and 1kg plastic pots. Some prefer the taste of Bakers' and won't buy any other. Saw a thread on here where the suggestion was made to bury it in the compost heap; I get shot of it at £18/kg.

Nowadays less turns up because I take readings and stack and de-humidify any at 19 or higher in the spare room; works well, especially as extraction may be delayed. The Abelo Supers Heater works similarly. If the top has dropped in The Poot's bucket, the bulk will be even lower (unless it was high all the way down to begin with) but if in doubt, stir it vertically and leave for another night.

Hi Dodge,
The dehumidifier was on for most of the morning, the bucket covered with a tea towel and a net. A reduction from 19.5 to 16.5 at the edge of the bucket and 17.5 in the centre.
Happy with that:cheers2::cheers2:

Many thanks, glad to see it's worth it, will use this method myself if I need to.

but remember Eric and Erica's posts for next time - much easier to do reduce moisture if the honey is still in the frames. Test a few cells at the edge of the frames if extracting frames with a high percentage uncapped.
The danger with dehumidifying with the honey in the bucket is that only the very top layer will be effectively drying. Two years ago I set up a complicated rig with a slow moving honey stirrer turning the honey with a dehumidifier running. All in a small warm room. It took two days to reduce moisture in a 30lb bucket from 19.5 to 17.5 percent. Never again.

Just remember though that taking it too low costs. ;)

Had 30 supers of heather down to 17%..... work it out.

PH

Dehumidifier runs 24/7 ( 24 hours a day 7 days a week) in our honey room...... RH averages 34 but goes up to 54 as soon as centrifuges are started up... empty around 10 liters of water every 24 hours.... room temp is 34 degrees... frames set up in the supers with a reasonable air circulation... average water content in buckes around 15%.

not had any problems..... yet!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back