frequency of refractor recalibration

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
how often...each year, each time?

i think i have recalibrated mine 3 times in 5 years.

today i tested some honey as transferring to settling bucket and it read 13....when bucketed, it was 17. But, it did have cappings in with it and the test drop i used was from amongst the draining cappings which may have had the lowest water content...however...will recalibrate!

how often...each year, each time?

i think i have recalibrated mine 3 times in 5 years.

today i tested some honey as transferring to settling bucket and it read 13....when bucketed, it was 17. But, it did have cappings in with it and the test drop i used was from amongst the draining cappings which may have had the lowest water content...however...will recalibrate!
They are supposed to be ATC but in reality I reckon they need to be re-calibrated if the testing air temperature is reasonably different to the last time it was calibrated.

I check mine at every extraction and bottling. I find both of mine can change by up to 1%. It takes no time to put a dab of olive oil on it and tweak the setting.

I check mine at every extraction and bottling. I find both of mine can change by up to 1%. It takes no time to put a dab of olive oil on it and tweak the setting.
Yep....around 1 per cent.

After testing all my summer honey as I extracted into buckets I decided to check the calibration. I've had it about 3 years. It was 0.6 off, which meant some of my 18% honey was actually above 18.5%. Had to stick the buckets into the dehumidifying room for a few days and stir the buckets a couple of times a day to bring it down. Will calibrate at the beginning of every extraction from now on as it's such a simple thing to do but keeps the honey safe.

My refractometer is eleven years old, I have yet to recalibrate it - check it occasionally, but that's it. The less fiddling the better. I was gifted a new one last Christmas and I thought I'd give it an airing at the honey show - I checked both using the same sample, and both read exactly the same.

Latest posts

Back