jarring and air bubbles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
so our process is to leave in settling tank over night and use cling film on top, we then take a reading from the top edge hoping that has the highest water content

and then we jar

obviously there are more bubbles appearing in each jar...should we lid straight away?

this is spring honey with a reading of 18.5, is that ok?

we had some ferment last year and want to avoid the same again, do the bubbles increase risk of fermentation?

thanks...and would love to hear most effective jarring processes

so our process is to leave in settling tank over night and use cling film on top, we then take a reading from the top edge hoping that has the highest water content

and then we jar

obviously there are more bubbles appearing in each jar...should we lid straight away?

this is spring honey with a reading of 18.5, is that ok?

we had some ferment last year and want to avoid the same again, do the bubbles increase risk of fermentation?

thanks...and would love to hear most effective jarring processes

Bubbles disappear usually within 24 hours: quicker with warmth.. If in a hurry to get rid, place jars in sun (not too much of course).
I lid immediately no issues.

BUT you should be filling jars by weight : not by height in jar: as bubbles rise to surface and disappear, surface level falls...

Fermentation is caused by water content over 20 ..18.5% should be fine.

I use electronic scales and weigh each jar: my eyes usually get within 5gms of 454g on 1lb jars... Occasionally I overfill... I NEVER underfill. If I was commercial or doing lots of jars I would buy an auto bottler...

Thanks Madas

We use an electronic scale we sit the jar on and zero

I thought this was the case but just wanted reassurance that it was ok to lid straight away

I use electronic scales and weigh each jar: my eyes usually get within 5gms of 454g on 1lb jars... Occasionally I overfill... I NEVER underfill. If I was commercial or doing lots of jars I would buy an auto bottler...[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree:

Very easy to tare the jars and add the exact weight. I do tend to overfill as I feel I can justify not using approved scales if I know the jars are 1-2% over.

Bubbles disappear usually within 24 hours: quicker with warmth.. If in a hurry to get rid, place jars in sun (not too much of course).
I lid immediately no issues.

BUT you should be filling jars by weight : not by height in jar: as bubbles rise to surface and disappear, surface level falls...

Fermentation is caused by water content over 20 ..18.5% should be fine.

I use electronic scales and weigh each jar: my eyes usually get within 5gms of 454g on 1lb jars... Occasionally I overfill... I NEVER underfill. If I was commercial or doing lots of jars I would buy an auto bottler...

Osmophilic yeasts that cause fermentation cannot grow below 17% water content, so you are not safe unless you heat your honey. Air bubbles usually takes 3 days to clear, but I do live in a cold house.

Sorry, my answer was for Cuckmere Couple.

Beeno,
Do you have a reference for the 17% osmophillic yeast fermentation? I’ve heard it before, but couldn’t see anything specific when I searched. Thx

Thanks Dani.
There are some old papers that describe specific species identified so I was looking to see if anyone had determined temperature and duration that would be effective at reducing the yeast population and risk of fermentation.
worked with some yeast in the past that were tough as old boots, whilst others were sensitive souls https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/images/smilies/cheers2.gif

Thanks Dani.
There are some old papers that describe specific species identified so I was looking to see if anyone had determined temperature and duration that would be effective at reducing the yeast population and risk of fermentation.
worked with some yeast in the past that were tough as old boots, whilst others were sensitive souls https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/images/smilies/cheers2.gif

Looks like it is 68 degrees centigrade for one minute! Not sure how you would do that on a bucket of honey. You can't heat the whole bucket at the same rate! It's easier to store it at less than ten degrees!
E

Last edited:
The caveat being that the bucket remains air tight until fully defrosted and temperature equilibrated otherwise there's a risk of condense water contaminating the honey.

helpful comments, thanks all

almost all of spring frames were capped and still came out at 18.5 (a fair bit of rape in there too)

im assuming once capped, water content doesn't decrease, so they're capping towards the higher end....not hte 15/16 some talk of

In my experience 18 to 19 % is pretty normal, even when the honey is fully capped. I have never had a water content as low as 16.

helpful comments, thanks all

almost all of spring frames were capped and still came out at 18.5 (a fair bit of rape in there too)

im assuming once capped, water content doesn't decrease, so they're capping towards the higher end....not hte 15/16 some talk of

It depends on many things, I've had 14% in combs not yet capped and 19% in capped.

Latest posts

Back