Record Keeping Software

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very interested in the beetight software that Spehx is developing as it allows you ro scan your hive with your 'smartphone'.
Q. Does it work with blackberry smartphones (he asks, fingers crossed).

regards

S

But why write an online record keeping?

I would prefer to store mine offline?

Yours Roy

Because I find it easier to write! I justified to myself spending the time to write this because I was using it to brush up on my CakePHP skills. But more seriously: it allows the mobile stuff without separate apps and syncing nightmares. This is its real killer feature, I think. I've no experience with writing offline mobile apps. You also use it from different machines while retaining the same data. It also allows it to link it with external services a lot easier than with an offline version. In future I'd also like to add the option of sharing some information about your hives with other people, though I'm not sure at this moment what form this would take. My first priority would be keeping the data secure.

I'm very interested in the beetight software that Spehx is developing as it allows you ro scan your hive with your 'smartphone'.
Q. Does it work with blackberry smartphones (he asks, fingers crossed).

regards

S

It should do! There is plenty of free barcode-reading software available for Blackberry, so that side of it should certainly work. The only question is the compatibility of the mobile site. I don't have a Blackberry and I haven't got the Blackberry emulator running on my computer yet, but it certainly should, even if it requires me to make a few adjustments. Why not give it a try! I'm more than happy to make any changes that are needed to get it working on Blackberry.

Thanks to everyone who requested an invite. You should all have them by now. If anyone else wants one then let me know. I've already fixed a load of bugs that came up right away! If you had trouble adding hives, or with anything else for that matter, do try again as I may have fixed it already. Otherwise do please let me know.

I'll stick with the 'card on the crown board' method.

But why write an online record keeping?

I would prefer to store mine offline?

Yours Roy

as a software developer I could list pros and cons (some technical and most not), more important as a beekeeper I can see some key reasons why I would be reluctant to keep my records with a thirdparty - unless a good legal agreement was in place re 'my data'.

- you have no control of your data or its use
- third party can see all your activity on movement, issues, stock value, etc
- if it tracks apiary locations you have given the keys to the house (hives)
- what are the data export facilities for ‘your’ data when you want to leave
- do you have a legal agreement on data usage
- is your data/contact info being sold? or given to others?
- who technically own the data, 'me'!
- remote devices often have poor reception for working online (apiaries often do)
- if you use for several months/years then its vital you don’t loose the info

Just my thoughts.

I am sure everyone on this forum is genuine and honest, but suppose you find some great ‘online’ software that allows you to hook into Google maps and track all your apiary locations to the nearest 1m - sounds great but then again ,,,,, valuable information. Suppose you find that same great software can provide a third party with a long list of beekeepers, the type of hive they use and the number of hive they have ,,,,, I can think of many equipment suppliers who would pay for that information.

Last edited:
as a software developer I could list pros and cons (some technical and most not), as a beek I can see a few reasons why I would be reluctants to keep my records with a thirdparty - unless a good legal agreement was in place re 'my data'.

- you have no control of your data or its use
- third party can see all your activity on site, issues, value, etc
- if it tracks apiary locations you have given the keys to the house (hive)
- what are the data export facilities for ‘your’ data when you want to leave
- do you have a legal agreement on data usage
- is your data/contact info being sold?
- who technically own the data
- remote devices often have poor reception for online work (apiaries often do)
- if you use for several months/years then its vital you don’t loose the info
Just my thoughts.

These are all valid points. I will obviously put in place proper terms and so forth before it goes live. I have no interest in doing anything with anyone's data or contact information, but I know I'd want this assurance in writing. You own your data.

In terms of data export, I plan to make everything easy to export. I should have CSV export (for Excel) in place soon, with more comprehensive XML export soon after. You should be able to download and back up absolutely everything.

Location data is mostly stored just at parish or village level, so the security issue shouldn't be so much of a problem. Once again, I will put this in writing.

Fair response, thanks for the feedback.

Jez

I'll get shot down for this but I use Roger Patterson's record sheet which is a sheet of A4for the year and it records all the info I need to know.

http://www.wgbka.org.uk/Practical_Beekeeping.html

You can have too much information.

This I think is the perfect record card for me but can anyone please let me know what QMP refers to it suggests to me 'queen marked present' but it already has a column 'queen clipped marked' any help appreciated

I think- queen mating problem i.e. you are unhappy with her laying pattern or quantity of eggs laid. Do remember though- allow her to settle- she is learning too so in early days this may not be wonderful!

Thanks heather perhaps you are right the only hesitation is it has a column for queen laying. I suppose with my dyslexia I can make it into what I want it to be cheers

I found the best way to decide what to record was to watch the local bee inspectors at work (no moaning about them pls), I learnt very quickly what the key checks needed to be when going over the hives on a number of their visits.

Last edited:
There is nothing on that sheet about the age or origin of the queen. My cards have space for this along the top and also a space for the apiary location.

I was intrigued by the entry for "hive name". I give mine numbers, do other people give them names: Cyril, Alice, Grumpy...?

Good point that RoofTops about the age of the queen I can put that at the top of the page. It will be a max of three hives this year so it need not be overly complicated

Good point that RoofTops about the age of the queen I can put that at the top of the page. It will be a max of three hives this year so it need not be overly complicated

Tip I was given about age of queen was to pin a coloured pin to front of hive brood box.
'Simples' as the annoying little rat would say!

Poly hive
I have bought the Pro Bee Diary Software, but it gets very tedious the more colonies you get so have abandoned it and stuck with as you do idellible pen and laminated card under the roof, wind blows it away and have to give chase and the main problem I find is do i do the record in duplicate or try to remember what to take to out apiaries next visit when records are inside the hive and i am in the shed loading vehicle in mid summer, any ideas
kev

Latest posts

Back