Record Keeping Software

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats wrong with writing a database in "MYSQL" ?
ok I admit its the only database language I can write.

Bcrazy has a very nice programe already he uses.

I have a screenshot on my hardrive,let me go find it.

Well it was a toss up between access or sql server express. The advantage of access is that it can be compiled and distributed in a single package without having to try and compile an installer or ensure that someone installs it correctly. That and I can't be bothered to learn mysqls SQL syntax and stored procedures etc.

The screenie is very intersting though, it's prettier than mine but contains a lot of the same info, doing mine "just because" really, as a possibly soon to be unemployed DBA some demonstration of familiarity with access 2007 can't hurt :D

I am chuckling here.

I am going to say all my hive info is on the hive. I don't keep bees in the living room. I keep my bees in Apiaries. That is where I need the info.

I use a card. And an indelible pen.

The date of the queen is at the top plus her colour and if she is clipped.

Q R/c 2007 (2007 Q Red and clipped)

2-3-09 3+1 (date of inspection and brood state)

and so on.

My bricks also tell part of the story.

KISS people. KISS......... too much info is as useless as not enough.

PH

Each to their own I say. I like my graphs, charts and trends, it's what I do for a living and I'm "sad" enough that I enjoy it. I also like the "order from chaos" that a database can bring, again, I do it for a living so keeping myself organised (and it would be chaos otherwise) is a good thing in my book :)

If a mark one Pencil and Paper works for you, good on ya

Each to their own I say. I like my graphs, charts and trends, it's what I do for a living and I'm "sad" enough that I enjoy it. I also like the "order from chaos" that a database can bring, again, I do it for a living so keeping myself organised (and it would be chaos otherwise) is a good thing in my book :)

If a mark one Pencil and Paper works for you, good on ya

I'm also an IT contracter and I like databases as well :)

Yours Roy

Poly Hive,your real high tech,a card and indelible pen,i use duck tape,idelible pen and a selection of stones.

Cor........ never been called High Tech before.

I'm flattered. :)

PH

Who needs to hack a database when you can throw stones..

I also like the idea of a database as I love to pour over stats and graphs.
I can think of nothing better than sending a query to a database on a cold winters evening.
I think its each to their own.

OGRE.jpg

It's like we're INNER JOINed at the hip.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

istockphoto_391262-brick.jpg

As PH says KISS! You spend more time writing your data base than beekeeping.

Idealy you should have it in your head, or very least a quick few notes.

I am one of the biggest graphers at work, but only beacuse A I get paid to do it and B it is of use.

Last edited:
As PH says KISS! You spend more time writing your data base than beekeeping.

Shortly I might not have any choice in the matter and unfortunately 1 hive of bees is hard to justify as a full time job ;) It's fun, I enjoy it and if at the end of it a few other people find it useful then even better

Poly Hive,your real high tech,a card and indelible pen,i use duck tape,idelible pen and a selection of stones.
Pete stones! That made me laugh!:D

I am lucky my bees are at the back of my office..I simply add notes to my whiteboard.

Sorry to but in again but that's the wrong brick!

I prefer grey brick as it takes spray paint well. (could I find a pic for goodness sake!)

I will have shortly when I remember to get the paint, yellow ends which says Queen cells. These are grafted cells I refer to.

Blue paint says virgins in residence.

Red says grafts in hive.

PH

Were you by any chance a part time grafitti artist in another life poly.

Not an oil rig per se but a flotel yes. Their colour was blue, Safe Felecia by name.

PH

Idealy you should have it in your head, over very least a quick few notes.

Its really difficult to write notes as you go round an apiary, and difficult to remember the details for each one if you're inspecting 4 or more hives.

I recently started using a dictaphone (voice activated) at the apiary - once which has a wee digital camera built into it. I just turn it on before going to the hives, and try and talk my way through the hives as I'm working on them. I can then sort out my notes in my own time, and make sure I get everything down.

That was my next idea. Most mobile phones have a recording facility nowadays and that linked to a headset wired or otherwise seemed another alternative.

Latest posts

Back