Raise your own queens by the punched cell method by Richard Smailes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil1961

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I'm trying to get hold of a copy - e or hard of "Raise your own queens by the punched cell method" by Richard Smailes. Any advice / suggestions

The cell punch system we use as demonstrated at the BIPCo queen rearing day by Rodger P is far easier and much more sophisticated than hacking at a brood frame with a plumbing fitting!

And we have raised quite a number of nice native black Cornish Amms by utilising it.

My own preference is still for grafting however!

Yeghes da

TY for the input

Hi, many thanks for the input and suggestions, Good to have lots of BKs helping me. VMT

I used the cell punch a couple of days ago on a BIPCo exercise. I had tried some grafting previously but I found the cell punching much easier and quicker - there were two of us working with the cell punches - one punching out the cells, the other tidying up the wax and preparing it for the frame. After we'd used up all the punches, we reverted to grafting, which I thought was a bit of a faff - mucking about trying to get the larva in contact with the royal jelly after you managed to get the larva onto and then off of the grafting tool (no easy task, I found). We were doing this in the open air without the use of magnifying glass or microscope.

So, as a grafter and cell-puncher of one day's experience, I preferred the cell punch method. Maybe Icanhopit has better eyesight!

CVB

The Smailes booklet is out of print, but there are still plenty available second hand.

In the last couple of days I have started writing a new booklet. I have a lot on, so it may not be available for some time yet.

The "original" cell punch method is different from the one shown in the video, which is much more difficult. A couple of days ago I punched 10 cells and they were all done and in the cell builder within 5 minutes.

I'm pleased the BIPCo event got beekeepers punching cells as two on here state. When giving talks and demonstrations on the method, I have far more interest in it than the other methods, but I get the impression very few use it.

Roger Patterson.

The Smailes booklet is out of print, but there are still plenty available second hand.

In the last couple of days I have started writing a new booklet. I have a lot on, so it may not be available for some time yet.

The "original" cell punch method is different from the one shown in the video, which is much more difficult. A couple of days ago I punched 10 cells and they were all done and in the cell builder within 5 minutes.

I'm pleased the BIPCo event got beekeepers punching cells as two on here state. When giving talks and demonstrations on the method, I have far more interest in it than the other methods, but I get the impression very few use it.

Roger Patterson.

The problem for many people interested in using the technique is that the equipment has to be home-made - there do not appear to be commercial suppliers. If there were commercial suppliers, I suspect the price would be prohibitive for many beekeepers - there's a lot of work in a set of cell punches.

CVB

Anduril,

That method is a real fiddle and will put beekeepers off.

I agree with CVB. Punches have to be made as there are no commercial suppliers any more.

Unfortunately cell punching is rubbished by many, which doesn't help. I am the only person I know who uses it regularly and I am trying to popularise it. It is my favourite method.

Roger Patterson.

I use the US system much modified by experience this year. It requires no expensive equipment, knowledge or skill. Or even good eyesight..

I am living proof of the above statement :)

If it's of interest, I've just made a set of prototype cells punches on a 3D printer based on the dimensions shown on the Dave Cushman website here: http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/cellpunch.html

They seem to work well enough in isolating a single cell, but its getting a bit late in the year to raise actual Queens, but I'll give it a go and report back.

If it's of interest, I've just made a set of prototype cells punches on a 3D printer based on the dimensions shown on the Dave Cushman website here: http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/cellpunch.html

They seem to work well enough in isolating a single cell, but its getting a bit late in the year to raise actual Queens, but I'll give it a go and report back.

Worth a note that the cell end piece is slightly tapered to give a good push fit and to assist drawing down the cell.

Another option is the HOPKIN'S board... which allows the bees to select the larvae they want to make queens from.

This is where the plumbing fitting brazed to a rod comes into play... and is possibly where those less well informed have got a little confused?

Not too late to try some queen rearing... still plenty of drones about ( I am talking Native Amm here!!)

Try it out... nothing to loose!

Good Luck!!!

Yeghes da

One edge of the tube is tapered and it does work really well in cutting out a single cell.

I've tried the Hopkins method in the past where you in essence turn the frame sideways so the cells face down, but you do end up killing loads of other larvae in and around the isolated cells you want the bees to rear Queens from. Cell punching seems much cleaner and efficient as potentially you only harm the cells directly behind your chosen candidate. Not heard of the Hopkins board though - do you have any pictures or more information?

One edge of the tube is tapered and it does work really well in cutting out a single cell.

I've tried the Hopkins method in the past where you in essence turn the frame sideways so the cells face down, but you do end up killing loads of other larvae in and around the isolated cells you want the bees to rear Queens from. Cell punching seems much cleaner and efficient as potentially you only harm the cells directly behind your chosen candidate. Not heard of the Hopkins board though - do you have any pictures or more information?

Try the BIPCo or BIBBA web pages... I think there are some images there.

essentially the frame is placed above a Q- cell rearing colony in a box in the horizontal plane.
bees select larvae to raise as queens... I have not noticed any worker or drone bee deaths in the ones we have used.. bees can access the rear of the comb and brood on ours.... did have one frame split along the wire... ended up with 20 queen cells in a Millar / Hopkins hybrid!:hairpull:

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back