How many splits can you make from just 2 colonies in one season?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the current queen importation situation into Ireland like? There were mutterings from some groups about getting legislation to prevent all imports or non AMM imports into the country (can't remember which). A number of UK based queen sellers have statements about not sending to NI, so assuming its not allowed under current EU / GB trade agreements?

What's the current queen importation situation into Ireland like? There were mutterings from some groups about getting legislation to prevent all imports or non AMM imports into the country (can't remember which). A number of UK based queen sellers have statements about not sending to NI, so assuming its not allowed under current EU / GB trade agreements?
The Native Irish Honey Bee Society is trying to pass a law banning all imports of non-native queens. Imports of non-native bees have already been banned. But as far as I know there are very few queens being imported to Ireland each year due to the high cost of getting a health certificate for each queen. I have been keeping bees for nearly 10 years and have never met someone who has imported a queen from another country. Queen imports from non-EU countries have been banned for a few years now. Anyway I don't follow the NIHBS much as I don't think much of the native Irish honeybee I prefer the Buckfast bee.

How many? Difficult to give a number. Will you take what the two colonies can give you, without destroying the colonies?
Will you take everything the two colonies have and eliminate them from your apiary?
I spoke at the recent NHS about this. Using my "Brood Factory" management, I made 305 nuclei from 93 brood factories, after I set up 52 queen cell building colonies to create 1100 queens. Total frames of brood harvested and used in the program...1064 frames or 11.4 average. This work was done between May 13 and July 10. After the work was completed, the brood factories rebuilt and went into winter in great shape, ready for the 2024 season.
The presentation will be published.
NHS : "National Honey Show"
Think if he took them to the local "NHS" the Receptionist at the Hospital would look a be 'stung' for words ! 🤭
(nhs: UKs National Health Service.)
Sorry. . . Couldn't resist the Pun !

I have a bit of drawn comb but mostly foundation.Know they have 'Artificially made' Drawn out Comb in the USA.
Any use Info wise ?
I know they have 'artificial Comb' that's used in the USA.
I believe its Branded 'Better Comb'.
Some Stateside Beeks on YouTube promo it in their Apiaries. 👀
Just now. . .
Googled 'artificially drawn comb'.
This Company's info showed. 👀
Hexacells dot com
Not adding web url/link in case the Forum doesn't allow it.
Seem's 'it' could be a Product with an (issue) if : Its Artificially Made and goes back into 'Wax' Deposit Cash setups.(Beeswax into : ££'s.)
Sure somewhere here will know the Science bit ! 🙃
Also : if its coming froma say a Chinese 🇨🇳 Supplier. How 'Bee' or "Food" Grade safe could it be ?

I personally think you would fail on that Nuc 'Creation at that speed'.
Is their any Franchising or 'Out Sourcing' re Nucs: in Commercial Bee Keeping (?)
I'm only a Hobby Beek. And know despite all endeavours, if you have a Wet Summer, followed by a Cold Winter, any 'stretched' Nuc would probably crash and burn.
Could a more sustainable x2 or x3 Years Increase : 'Business Plan' be more "Bee" achievable ?
Maybe some of the Big Boys in Bees (Stateside they have huge Colony set ups going.) But then their Season/Weather/Forage and the vast Landscape they utilise, makes it a whole different ball game. 🙄
Sorry for to much Yank spiel, (but I have family in the USA.) And do like following several Beeks over there. One regularly 'Comments' on this Forum. He might have a better understanding or Suggestion re Fast Nuc Business 'turnover.' In making those "Bees" fast, rather than the 'bucks'. . .🙃

Latest posts

Back