Queen cell transportation between apiaries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting to get into more queen rearing. As well as cell punching yesterday, I cut out some cells from a good colony and introduced to nucs. Also have bought a Rcom incubator, got that set up & working ready to receive my cell punches in a week or so.

How do you transport your queen cells? Last year I made a heath robinson container with a sponge / hole in a plastic container, which was fine for short distances. However I'd like to transport a couple of cells much further in a couple of weeks time (for around 3-4 hours). How would you advise re a relatively inexpensive solution?

Also any recommendations, as I progress, to buying something that can plug into the car whilst travelling? Know some people make their own & mess about with wiring etc & I don't have these skills, so would need to be bought off the peg!

The Apiarist Blog had an article on moving queen cells, last year I think it was. Not sure how to post a link, but it will be in the blog index.

The Apiarist Blog had an article on moving queen cells, last year I think it was. Not sure how to post a link, but it will be in the blog index.
Hi yes saw that it’s one he made from scratch, with home made wiring. Really want to buy something that I can plug in and go (ie plug into a car cigarette lighter) for a small number of cells

As protheroe, find somewhere warm and cosy on your personage for limited numbers of cells, when wishing to transport more I have a 12v incubator which plugs into the fag lighter socket in the truck20210823_172203.jpg20210823_172140.jpg

I put them in roller cages and down my T-shirt in a bag.
Nice one! 😊
It’s for a long journey in a car. This is my home made version, that I was going to put in a cool box or polyNuc with the base sealed, with a hot mater bottle around it!

As I’m getting into queen rearing more and wanting to move a few cells to out apiaries to make up into Nucs, wondered if anyone has bought one that can plug into a car lighter……or has a rechargeable battery. That doesn’t cost the earth!

Attachments

• 0EAA0FFE-4D9D-4778-80AF-D0BEA0595462.jpeg
    0EAA0FFE-4D9D-4778-80AF-D0BEA0595462.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • D15B333B-9676-4542-8CE2-182FFCA87680.jpeg
    D15B333B-9676-4542-8CE2-182FFCA87680.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
As protheroe, find somewhere warm and cosy on your personage for limited numbers of cells, when wishing to transport more I have a 12v incubator which plugs into the fag lighter socket in the truckView attachment 32167View attachment 32168
Thanks Ceri, any recommendation where you can source one for a small number of cells ie around 10?

Nice one! 😊
It’s for a long journey in a car. This is my home made version, that I was going to put in a cool box or polyNuc with the base sealed, with a hot mater bottle around it!

As I’m getting into queen rearing more and wanting to move a few cells to out apiaries to make up into Nucs, wondered if anyone has bought one that can plug into a car lighter……or has a rechargeable battery. That doesn’t cost the earth!
Have you considered a 12v electrically heated lunch box?? - amazon or eBay under £25.

Latest posts

Back