Best Queen Rearing Method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember exactly, but the pupae were pretty much fully developed. A few had emerged into the cages but most didn't.
I don't do queen rearing like this now, but I've found they are really sensitive to chilling at about that stage of development. I wonder if it could have been that?

The best method is the one that suits you, If only for the odd queen then I use QC's from a colony showing supescedure traits or only 2 or three QC's.
If wanting a few I found grafting a nice experience and using the Ben Harding Q raising colony method good.

I will add to my prior post on my (poor) grafting.
If you have the time, examine grafts after 1-2 days , then regraft any cells that don't take.
This enables you to rectify errors and get practise when memory of what you did before is fresh/

Needless to say, I do lots of regrafting.....

You can read Larry Oconnors Queen rearing essentials for you to pick which one is suitable for you.

Going to have a go at queen rearing next year. I only need 5-10 queens. I would like to have a go at grafting. I have a colony which is very vigorous and is overwintering on double brood I plan to use. Is there much difference between the Cloake board method and the Ben Harden method?

Going to have a go at queen rearing next year. I only need 5-10 queens. I would like to have a go at grafting. I have a colony which is very vigorous and is overwintering on double brood I plan to use. Is there much difference between the Cloake board method and the Ben Harden method?
As you only have one hive on double brood it might be simpler to use a double screen board/ modified snelgrove board, especially as you only want a small number of queens .Or simply use the nuc method. Hope your local drone population is sound.

As you only have one hive on double brood it might be simpler to use a double screen board/ modified snelgrove board, especially as you only want a small number of queens .Or simply use the nuc method. Hope your local drone population is sound.
Why is having only one hive in double brood an issue. I have others on single.

Using the Cloake board method you’re temporarily making them queenless and concentrating more bees into the box where your cells will be built. You can raise many more cells

If you only want a few then the Ben Harden method is fine. Make sure there is a flow on or you’re feeding close to the cells otherwise they will be largely ignored as unlike the Cloake method where they are raising the cells under emergency response they are essentially raising them as supersedure cells.

Using the Cloake board method you’re temporarily making them queenless and concentrating more bees into the box where your cells will be built. You can raise many more cells

If you only want a few then the Ben Harden method is fine. Make sure there is a flow on or you’re feeding close to the cells otherwise they will be largely ignored as unlike the Cloake method where they are raising the cells under emergency response they are essentially raising them as supersedure cells.
Saw somewhere that if you put a board under the box which you graft into for about half an hour it improves acceptance. Guess this triggers emergency response?

Have you considered using Cory Stevens' approach and using a colony preparing to swarm to bring on your grafts? Bees who are preparing to swarm are bees that want to make queens.

I used QCs in nucs and walk away splits previously, but last year I tried this method. One go was excellent (about 10) but the next one most of the queen's died in their cells. No idea what went wrong but will definitely try this method again next year. Main issue for me was getting set up with enough queenless hives (or apideas) to get the new queens mated, laying and ready to replace my less favourable queens.View attachment 38295
If those were the cells* that died and you removed them before day 10, you risk killing them all. Using the Ben H method (Q+ DB ((there are many variations on the method, it's not Bens))) I can graft 20 + cells and get 98-100% success (regardless of flow). Frame food/young bees are key, works great.

*I've a professional portable LAB-grade incubator, for removing cells from hive to main incubator. Temperature stability is critical.

Latest posts

Back