pictures to lift the heart

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything was fresh and green after the rain. The Hawthorn is now in flower.

Attachments

• ACCF3CB4-04FD-4DED-AC98-730E238901EA.jpeg
    ACCF3CB4-04FD-4DED-AC98-730E238901EA.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 57
  • BE6A46B6-4309-4410-B08A-D0AC7F0E3068.jpeg
    BE6A46B6-4309-4410-B08A-D0AC7F0E3068.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Archway made from living willow, Rose, ivy, clematis. 15 years old
417ff9ac191f2d0b8df54a90606c8a33.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Can't match the beauty of E&MBees images, but I do get these growing wild .

picture.php
Thank you Murox, for the complement about my photos. I just use my phone camera. Takes quite a few attempts though sometimes. I think the dog gets a bit fed up waiting for me!

Are the flowers Sweet Violets? Not many around here. Tend only to get Dog Violets, which don’t smell.

I love the Arch. I was planning on using live willow fencing etc to border off my Apiary. Any tips?
Take care. BBB

If you look on the Web they say to take hardwood or semi-ripe hardwood cuttings, That are 10 inches or so long in late winter - ish..

I cut 2 inch round cuttings that were 4/5 ft high and literally stuck them in the ground about 12/18 inches deep in Febuary time when the soil and weather was warm.

You could even make your cuttings bigger, oh another tip don't let the soil dry out round the cuttings.

I hope this helps

I appreciate your reply Curly Green fingers. I’ve harvested about 20 cuts at the 10 a 12 inch and placed them in a vase that I’ve placed in a paper bag. So I’ll see how they fare. But I’m glad you’ve mentioned the four ft cuts as that IMO will make for better fencing. The plan was to weave the whips in between the longer cuts as time goes by. I’ll give it a try. Thank you. BBB

I can but hundreds here as they harvest them. Tried fencing and buildings. They take a few years to get good enough to weave together. Every time you cut them they split in two. First year cut to the ground so you get two main stems. Then cut further up each year. They harvest in spring as they begin to shoot
E

I can but hundreds here as they harvest them. Tried fencing and buildings. They take a few years to get good enough to weave together. Every time you cut them they split in two. First year cut to the ground so you get two main stems. Then cut further up each year. They harvest in spring as they begin to shoot
E

Thank you Enrico, that makes complete sense. I will keep you posted on my efforts. Really appreciate the advice. All the best. BBB

It is the willow they use for weaving. Red doesn't take well but the green and yellow takes fine. They sell bundles of 6 foot whips with about 100 in a bundle for £9. Stick them in a bucket and they all root.
E

Latest posts

Back