pictures to lift the heart

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the willow they use for weaving. Red doesn't take well but the green and yellow takes fine. They sell bundles of 6 foot whips with about 100 in a bundle for £9. Stick them in a bucket and they all root.
E

Good morning Enrico, the willow I have now has just been harvested locally, do you have a link for these bundles please, they sound very reasonable.
Thank you. BBB

Last edited:
The willow I’ve cut already was just taken from the park in which my Apiary will be, I’ve absolutely no idea of what type it is. Is there a willow more suited to bees or even live structures? Thanks for your time. BBB

The variety I've got are sallows, which are the round shaped leaves, both male and female tree's.

The male trees have pussys on them and produce lots of pollen and do produce Nectar.
I allso have the female sallow trees which produce nectar from the flowers.
I've observed that a temp of 14 c and above, preferably no wind and the trees are very busy both male and famale.
I think the lack of wind stops the wind pollanation so there's more flowers that the bees can pollinate.

The long thin leaved willow is mainly used for basket weaving but still good for the bee's.
So which ever you have your on a to a winner really.

I think the sallow variety would be my choice mainly because the male tree's produce so much pollen.
Apologies for any spelling mistakes or grammer issues.
Happy growing!

Pic of a male sallow flower the tree's in the picture are 40 ft tall.

1ef37f481408aca8794d11b67e12c8b4.jpg

Last edited:
curly green fingers, firstly thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. I do have the long leaf willow soaking in a vase, it has already started to spot roots and it’s been in less than a week, lots of hormones. But after reading your post, I’m going to look a bit more into this, as not to regret later. Secondly please don’t apologise for grammar, if this forum was a grammar class, then I would be at the bottom of it. I try my best. God bless mate. BBB

Japey edge. Stunning photo

Cowslips seen on this morning’s dog walk.

Attachments

• D9A20A77-B28B-41CA-938C-80CF36D07E30.jpeg
    D9A20A77-B28B-41CA-938C-80CF36D07E30.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 29
I think I need to spend lockdown trying to improve my photography skills. I don't know how you all manage such great images. My bees don't stay still, no matter how nicely I ask!

Attachments

• 20200424_153659.jpg
    20200424_153659.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 59
Looks like caviar in the middle of the flower!!! Lucky bee

My six year old girls interpretation of our family with dhustone granite.. Or in gaulic " black rock"
6 children, mum and dad are the big rocks with baby gus in between lovely!
a3a860e41b34d277140edeeb08edf7f0.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

My six year old girls interpretation of our family with dhustone granite.. Or in gaulic " black rock"
6 children, mum and dad are the big rocks with baby gus in between lovely!
a3a860e41b34d277140edeeb08edf7f0.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

They’re so creative aren’t they, my Grandson is 5 and they seem so grown up. Awesome Mark

Bit early in the seasons for wasp attacks but I'm certain this was a queen wasp, she was huge. Was in the hive as I opened up and watched the bees chase her down the frames a couple times until eventually they started balling her.

99078098_541016359918598_2388076076560547840_n (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back